Outbacker RV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to winterize my water system and can't find the bypass switch on my 2013 Outback 298RE. It must have one. Also , Does anyone just use air to blow out water lines or do most people then add winterization anti-freeze solution. On my old Prowler I used just air to blow lines out well. Thank you!

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
The bypass should always be attached to the water heater at the inlet and outlet. Based on a video I found online of a 2012 298RE, it appears that the water heater is located just forward of the outside kitchen on the entry door side of the trailer. From the same video I am guessing there must be an access panel in the cabinet to the left of the oven or in the back of the cabinet next to the entry door.

·
Administrator
18,056 Posts
Can you post a picture of the back of your hot water tank....and allow the image to show the waters lines around it. Then we can pinpoint the bypass switch.

Folks in more mild climates (like PNW) have been known to use the compressed air method to winterize. I do this every year. I buy 1 gallon of RV Antifreeze, which I use in the sinks and shower, to fill the p-traps.

·
Registered
750 Posts
It has ONE valve on the input to the tank. then they use a one way backflow valve so you don't need another valve. Well, sort of. Ever notice how water temperature changes as water flow or pressure change? reason is the backflow valve is not linear and water flow from the hot tank is not equalized.

Solution, toss the one valve system and buy a bypass with two valves, when installing it remove the one way backflow valve and toss it in the garbage.

And on the 298RE, the water heater access is behind the bottom panel of the pantry cabinet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts