Outbacker RV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had trouble with the outside stove adhesive failing? The door folds down and the stove is what the cables are attached to. So the adhesive is supposed to keep the door attached to the bottom of the stove (Parrallell with the ground). Now the door falls all the way down (90 degrees to the ground). This also removes the hinge point for the stove and the back is free to fall down.

Has anyone had this problem and found a solution?

Thanks,
Mike Dennison
2002 28BHS Outback

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
Hi Mike, first off welcome to the Outbackers!

I remember reading about this some time ago on another forum. On my 2004 I have four screws that hold the stove to the door. I don't think it would be difficult for you to do the same. It appears that the screws are positioned in the four corners of the stove to hold it in place.

While your at it, you may want to read what some of us did to help keep the stove area level, you can read about installing the turnbuckles here.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. Mine also had four screws in, but they were stripped out. I thought maybe the door material was soft enough that the weight of the door eventually stripped out the screw holes on the door. After reading the replies, I am begining to wonder if someone leaned on it (or more likey a kid hung from it) and stripped the screws and it was hastily repaired with the adhesive. Just a point of reference, the adhesive did not hold to the stove base. I'll probably move the screws to a new spot, maybe even add a few more toward the front.

Thanks again,

·
Registered
105 Posts
My '02 is only glued, and still holding strong. I have noticed the new ones with screws, and I really think they take away from the appearance of the trailer. O.K. all you "MOD" guys out there, lets think of a better solution, before my adhesive gives up as well!!! All ideas welcome>

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
Mike, I haven't looked under the stove are they using a nut-bolt or just a wood screw?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They are just short, self tapping screws. They screw in from the inside of the stove, into the door. You can not see them unless you take the metal part of the stove out of the plastic base/cutting block holder.

I'm surprised Outback attaches the cable to the stove instead of the door. If it were in the door, gravity would have the force of the stove pushing the two together, rather than the way it is, where gravity is pulling the door away from the stove.

I've thought about mounting the cable to the door instead of the stove, but I'll still have to fabricate some kind of bracket that would allow me to put enough screws into the door to hold the weight. Attaching the cable to the bracket should be no problem.

I had convinced myself that adhesive was not the standard, but Dave has indicated he only had adhesives and no screws. But I also noticed he said he had seen some with screws and it was not asthetically (sp?) pleasing. You would never have known mine had screws in it until it came apart or you took the stove apart. So I'm wondernig if Dave has seen some quick fixes. Dave, are you saying you saw one with screws through the outside of the door?

The adhesive stuck good to the door. I had to use a razor knife to remove the beads. The stove base is what did not hold. Must be made of some pretty slippery stuff.

Any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
Ah ok, see mine have bolt/nuts I'm pretty sure. Do the heads of the screws appear on the outside of the trailer when the stove is folded up in place?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Hey Mike,
Unfortunately, mine is beginning to do the same thing. My '03 has the adheasive and what appears to be pan head screws going into the plastic piece that the stove is mounted to. It is separating because the screws are pulling out of the plastic due to the stresses of towing. That's the only thing I can figure would cause it. I noticed it on the last trip. I plan to replace the screws with nuts and bolts. Should solve it. I had forgotten about this situation. Thanks for reminding me. I NEED to get on it. Happy travels.

KellerJames

1 - 9 of 9 Posts