Outbacker RV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems like there are more and more of us from the Great Pacific Northwest so I figured it was time to start our own thread. Maybe we can talk about a gathering sometime too.

We live in the Tri-Cities, WA though I grew up in Eugene and my wife in Centralia. We've lived in Vancouver, Olympia, Mukilteo and Everett in addition to Missouri and California as well (yeah we're done moving now).

Picked up our Outback Feb 14 and been camping "Outback" of the house and have one weekend trip with it, and a Spring Break trip coming up soon. We've been camping for a while with RVs, having gone from a PopUp to Hybrid and now to the Outback.

We have trips planned in early May, Memorial Weekend, week long trip in June, 4th of July and another week in August on the books so far.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Great idea Y-Guy. sunny My wife and I live on the border of Portland and Gresham. We just got our Outback last November and love it. It's our first RV but we did about 3 years of research and show searching before we committed to it.

Let's do plan something for this summer sometime. That would be pretty neat. It would have to be a weekend trip for us because my wife has used up or scheduled all of her vacation time and I have two businesses I run and summer is my peak time.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Growing up in Eugene, did you ever fish on a river in Sweethome? I think it's called the Kallapooa or something like that. The town was like being right in the the movie 'Deliverance'. I used to ride my motorcycle up there and fish. One time I caught 3 huge beautiful trout and when I got home my brother looked at them and said, 'Those are Steelhead,' and I said I was lucky dept. of fish & game didn't see me because there were signs posted on the river saying steelhead fishing was illegal that time of year. One of my favorite places to fish was a little tributary of the McKenzie right by Blue River. I used to pull in some big Cutthroat there. Another place that was nice for swimming and trout fishing was the Row River down by Cottage Grove. My brother had a gold claim down there and I used to fish there a lot. I would move to the northwest in a heartbeat if my wife would agree to it but her parents are in their 80's and she doesn't want to leave. Besides, she likes the desert and hates rain. Now if I want good scenic fishing I have to drive 4 hours up to Sequoia National Park. It's beautiful there and the native browns fight like crazy.

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I never fished in Sweet home, most of my fishing was on Y caravans usually in the Cascades or in N. Cal. We fished a lot on Crescent Lake in central Oregon too.

I hear ya on the rain, mostly its the gray skies in Oregon that gets me. We live in the desert in Washington and enjoy it, and the Mountains are a short drive away now.

As for a gathering I'm all for it too, weekend would work well. Maybe something off of I-84. I wish Oxbow park took reservations it used to be a great CG as I recall.

We have a couple up in our neck of the woods if you all want to dry out this summer and like it warm! But probably makes more sense down your way.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Just wanted to add my name to the list of NW area Outback families. We live in Banks, OR and recently purchased our 28RSS in January. Only three trips so far (Cape Lookout State Park, The Cove Palisades at Lake Billy Chinook, and the Deschutes River). Neither my wife or I are from the area (we moved here from Texas 5 years ago), so we are enjoying the exploring.

Chet, Christy and 2 kids

·
Outbackers Contributor
969 Posts
Hi everybody. action We currently reside in Molalla (25 miles south and east of Portland). We have lived in Port Orford and Weston, Oregon and Longview, Kelso, Vancouver and Alger (near Bellingham), Washington. We have camped over most of Washington and Oregon in the past 37 years, starting with our honeymoon which we spent in White Pass.
We have progressed from a tent to a pop up to an Outback 25RSS which we havn't yet taken possession of. We were thinking that a good place for all of us to meet would be the Deschutes River State Park in Oregon. The downside to that campground is there are no hookups. Then there is Memaloose by The Dalles. It has hookups but is right on the freeway. None of the campgrounds in the Mt Hood National Forest area have hookups either. There is a state park at Beacon Rock on the Washington side which we have never been to. It does not have hookups. There is the Maryhill State Park, on the Washington side of the Columbia River, it has hook ups but it would be quite a long drive for a weekend for the Eugene folks. How far are people willing to go? There is a state park called Ike Kinswa just out of Mossyrock off of I5, on the road (US Hwy 12) to White Pass, about 45 minutes from Longview, Washington. We have stayed there many times and it has hookups. Fort Stevens State Park (on the beach in Northern Oregon) would be a very nice place but that is pretty far for you Steve. We have stayed there too. We have an annual family camp out over Labor Day weekend and we have always had a hard time finding a place that is centrally located, has sun sunny and things to do, takes reservations, etc.etc. so I am used to this quandry. We are available most weekend from Friday through Sunday as I work a four ten schedule. We do have a two week trip scheduled the end of July for Canada. How does the end of June or the middle of August look? I think this sounds like a great idea and lots of fun.
Jodi (and Dean)

·
Registered
47 Posts
My wife just suggested that if anyone of us was a 1,000 Trails member then they could book a site and have anyone else who wanted to go could be their guests for something like $29.

We've been seriously considering this membership simply because it's getting harder to find open spaces and the state parks and such. If anyone has any info on 1,000 Trails we'd be interested in their opinions.

My wife is always thinkin'.

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We're not TT members, if you look to buy you may want to check the papers and online to buy one from a current owner. I don't know much about TT or costs/benefits.

I did look at two Oregon parks too that take reservations. Hook-up's aren't mandatory for us, but if we camp where its warm they maybe nice.

One is Cove Palisades State Park off of Hwy 97 near Warm Springs has 82 full hook up sites. Chet what did you think? The other is Milo McIver State Park off of 244 near Estacada, very close to Portland.

Just tossing out a date to see how it works for folks, but how would July 23-25 work?

·
Registered
8 Posts
This sounds like a great idea - we might be up for it if it fits in our schedule for the summer. Already have two week-long trips planned - one at the end of June, and one at the end of August. Something near the end of July might just work out well (unless we decide to do something crazy like drive to Yellowstone or something!).

Lake Billy Chinook is a very nice area, especially if you're into boating. We have a 19' runabout and are taking it camping with us at Prineville Reservoir State Park in August.

Milo McIver State Park is okay, but it's pretty small, and to be honest, there's not much around there. Maybe it's just too close to home to feel like camping to me. It does have some nice fishing spots, and is right next to a hatchery.

Fort Stevens State Park is a favorite of ours, with lots to do around the area and good beach access. It's also a big park with 300+ sites, but is a fair distance from the tri-cities area.

We're also looking to find good Washington campgrounds as I have family in the Tacoma area and need to find places between here (Portland) and there to meet.

Let's keep the ideas rolling in and see what works out.

·
Registered
47 Posts
My wife and I are pretty flexible. We're DINKS (Double Income No Kids) so as long as it's on a weekend we're OK. The only request my wife makes is, if it's gonna be warm, that we at least have a power HU for AC.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Y-Guy,

I think the Cove Palisades would be a great spot to get the group together (centrally located, lots to do with the lake right there, and a nice park), but I hear it is hard to get a site in the summer time. After our successful trip last month, I went back to do some reserving and found pretty much every weekend booked solid in the summer.

Chet.

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the update Chet, we may have a tough time at a lot of parks. We'll see how that dates works I guess then start looking for a CG.

·
Outbackers Contributor
969 Posts
Sorry
folks, we would be unable to attend a gathering July 23-25 as we will be in Canada for our annual two week vacation. This all sounds like a whole lot of fun though. Maybe next year, if we make it an annual affair
. Jodi & Dean

·
Registered
47 Posts
In case anyone is interested, going to be in the area, or wants to plan a quick weekend trip, my wife and I are going to be at the RV Resort of Cannon Beach on Apr. 23-25. Well, we'll arrive Friday night and leave Sunday morning but anyway, that's where we'll be and I know they have more open sites. We'll be in site #6. We're going there for the Annual Puffin Kite Festival. Also during that weekend Astoria has a Seafood and Crab Festival so it should be fun.

Also, we're going to be at the same place for Labor Day weekend, and again, they have more open sites available. My wife and I will be in site #77 this time.

We love this Resort because it is very clean, has a swimming pool, full hook-ups, cable, showers, rec hall/game room and a laundry room. It also has a shuttle to downtown Cannon Beach so you don't need to drive a car.

Hope to see you there. action

Dana & Deanne

·
Registered
394 Posts
D&D,

That is pretty entertaining that you mentioned that RV resort in Cannon Beach, my wife and I were just talking about maybe trying it out this summer. We live in Banks, so we have always run out to Cannon Beach for day trips because it is close, has lots to do, and we are really fond of the Ecola State Park on the North side. Anyway, since there isn't a state campground nearby (our usual type of campground) we thought about trying that resort.

With your positive review, we'll have to give it a shot. Probably can't make your weekend though, we have reservations at La Pine State Park the weekend before. I'm afraid back-to-back trips like that and I'd get even further behind on my chores than I already am!

Thanks,

Chet.

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey well we're back! Still hoping we can pull a gathering at some point.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Just wanted to keep this thread near the top of this category and to remind everyone that we'll be at the RV Resort of Cannon Beach this weekend if you're in the neighborhood. Sounds like the weather is going to be great so it should be a good time. We'll try to take pictures and post them when we get back.

Have a good weekend all and see you on Sunday.

Dana & Deanne

·
Registered
366 Posts
It is suppose to be absolutely beautiful this weekend... wish we could take off for the coast and meet up wtih you guys.

Have a Great weekend sunny

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just came back from a conference at Skamania Lodge, weather was wonderful on Thursday but today (Friday) it was grey skies all the way back to the tri-cities.

We're still up for a meet if we cand find an open CG and time for everyone.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts