Outbacker RV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When picking up your outback for the first time from the dealer and completing imspection what things should we look for that may cause problems down the road?

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
I highly recommend using Tom Boles' Pre-Delivery Checklist, which you can download right here. A quick search on "PDI" on this website will bring up many topics. Back before I picked up my Outback I came up with about half dozen things to specifically check for that were common problems on the Outbacks you can see that thread here.

You'll love your Outback, just take the time during your PDI. Don't let your dealer rush you through it. Check out Tom's PDI, its VERY detailed, but will find problems if you take the time to really check things out. If the dealer is close and you have a good dealer you may opt to do some things at home later, but if your driving any distance I would recommend spending the couple of hours to go through the PDI. You may want to fax a copy to the dealer, and even bring along a small cooler with a few Sodas for the PDI guy and you. Have fun!

·
Registered
366 Posts
I double what Y-Guy said...

Our experience:
(sorry it's a bit long..but maybe you can laugh a little through it
)
Drove 4 hours to the dealership (was giving us the best deal). Since driving so far we thought; okay, lets take enough stuff that we can spend the night somewhere. Which was going to be great sunny we thought
Get the full picture here 3 kids (ages 11, 9, 3) 3 dogs (one a puppy...very large puppy 40lbs 14 weeks)...and enough to sustain us for an overnighter in the new Outback
--what was I thinking

One hour to hour & half into the trip the 3 yr old is saying..." I want to go home!"
15 minutes later we figured out why when he proceeded to barfing.... other 2 kids trying to get as far way from him as possible. So we find a rest stop, clean him up and then realize the puppy also was car sick
walk him around for a bit, okay everybody ready to roll again. Rolling and spot Y-Guy and his clan on the way to Oregon...that was kinda cool action
We were a bit frazzled upon arrival to say the least
But, we did arrive! We had the list that Y-Guy talks about printed out, had 2 copies one for the tech and one for us (was the original reason for 2). For some reason we left them in the truck when we first got out
we were frazzled tho.

The dealership tech that was placed with us to do the PDI was (as most are) more concerned with telling you how things work, where things are, etc. Basically showing you all the features of the TT...not on how well it is put together or any flaws.
Anyway....
He spoke so fast my head was spinning, having to deal with kids/ dogs etc... It was up to Don to not miss anything, also they take your keys to your vehicle to get the hitch on etc....

Well when I finally snapped to through all the "fast talk" I went to find the truck (which they had not taken away yet) got both copies of the list, handed one to Don and I kept the other. Gave Don a pen to mark things off with. Then we went Oh yeah now that the tech did "his PDI" let's do ours!

It feels a little strange in asking for a ladder so you can access the roof, but you will be glad you did! Don found several....SEVERAL nails sticking up through the rubber roof! ....They resealed the whole thing

Along with lots of other things, you don't think to check ...that list covers it and keeps you from forgetting through all the "fast talk."

Make sure you check those seals....

Sorry for such a long post, but had to set the stage for you... Don't be embarrassed about taking that list and going over it no matter how long it takes!

We took about 6 hours... which was also them fixing all the "little things" so we would sign.

Oh yeah... a BIGGIE, don't sign before PDI !

·
Registered
366 Posts
NW...How do you like that SeaDoo???
sunny We love it!
We had 2 others (3 total) all were "Sea Doo" sold 2 last year when we bought the Sea Ray. Decided a "whole" boat would be more family oriented. Had to keep one to play on

Now, it's just figuring out how to get the Outback/SeaRay-big boat/SeaDoo-play boat all to one destination for a week (at least) of fun!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hello neighbour!
What a nice surprise to read a post from somone that lives in my area. Did you buy from Camping IN Style in Whitby?
I agree with NW don`t sign before PDI. Look forward to your reply.

Snowman.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts