Outbacker RV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning!

While driving home last week, we were in city stop and go traffic and I noticed brakes grabbing after being in traffic for 5 to 10 minutes. We were driving slow...10-15 miles due to traffic. The brakes are new as of March 2004 with trailer.

Should we expect that the happens....did brakes get hot...we were in boost 1 on Prodigy? On highway, it was not an issue, no grabbing when we stopped.

Thanks! sunny

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,452 Posts
I noticed the same thing the other day while in stop and go traffic waiting for a toll. I checked the Prodigy literature when I got home, and suspect that the boost may have been the culprit. According to the Prodigy documentation, the boost feature amplifies the brake signal, based on inertia. Next time I am in stop and go traffic, I am going to disable the boost, and see if that fixes it. The other option is to turn down the gain while in the traffic until the grabbing stops, then re-adjust when traffic starts moving again.

I am going to guess turning off the boost will lessen the grabbing though.

Tim

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
I turn off the Boost feature in town and under 55, once I hit the highway I turn it back to Boost 1. It does get grabby at lower speeds if you have it set right I've found.

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,452 Posts
On the highway, I have used both B1 and off.

Reading the documentation that came with the Prodigy, recommendations are made depending on trailer wgt vs. tow vehicle wgt. Since my Avalanche is somewhere in the 5700# vicinity, and the Outback is around 4700# (according to the inside cabinet sticker) Prodigy says no boost, or Boost 1.

Don't know if this helped, or just confused the issue, but I would think that a proportional braking effort by the trailer brakes is the most desired, as too little could bring it around on you, and too much can cause lockup of the trailer wheels, which means it could be coming around on you.

·
Registered
16 Posts
1st thing I did when I received my unit in June of 03 was to turn the boost off. These trailers are reletively light and I didn't think it was needed. Set up the brakes per the procedure in the book. Plan on increasing the setting occasionally, it they are used...such as in traffic, they will heat and get a little "grabby", reach down and turn the voltage down slightly, until the grabbing stops. Later, turn it back up.

The inertia control on the brake controller works regardless of boost setting.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts