Outbacker RV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ordered a Prodigy brake control the other day. Should be here this week. I know very little about elec. matters and I'm a little worried that I'll have to pay to have it put in. Any one install their own? Will the instructions explain how to well enough for someone not too skilled in this area? From what I've read, the new 250 is prewired with an under dash plug. Any info would be appreciated.

·
Outbackers Contributor
1,207 Posts
Oh man you got me on the chevy it was very straight forward and easy to hook-up, it took longer to figuire out where to put it
. You should have been able to order a wiring pigtail to connect to your new F250 for the prodigy. Also some fords require you to install a fuse for trailer charging, check you manual. Really wasn't that hard just follow the instuctions, Kirk

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
Did you get the Ford-Prodigy pigtail? If not you can probably find it at an RV store or NAPA, then just plug into the truck and the back of the Prodigy, mount the Prodigy where you can reach it and away you go. Even if you need to splice into the wires, as I did on my F150 it was pretty straight forward, the Prodigy had very detailed instructions.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, we have the pigtail (which came with the truck) and I also bought the prodigy wire harness that has the connections on both ends. I thought it would be easy to install but thought I would see if anyone had difficulties I should look out for. Thanks guys.

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,452 Posts
I didn't get the Prodigy harness with the plugs on each end, just used the stock GM pigtail, and hard wired it to the standard Prodigy harness, and no problems. The biggest issue was figuring out where I was going to mount it where I would'nt bang it with my knee, but still had rapid access to it for manual brake application.

After that, it was a cinch. Took about an hour total, and that included finding someplace under the dash to roll the excess cable. I mounted the slide in bracket, and when I'm not using it, I unplug the controller and take it out of the truck. One less thing to attract would be thieves.

Tim

G

·
sunny Just installed a Prodigy in my F-150. Took all of about ten minutes. The pigtail that came with the truck worked perfectly, but choose a mounting location that lets you mount the unit as close to horizontal as possible. LOL

·
Registered
65 Posts
The Prodigy has to be the easiest brake controller there is on the market to hookup. In fact, it is so easy, in about 5 minutes, we can switch it between vehicles depending on which one we want to tow with.

I definitely give the Prodigy

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
Hooking it up should be a breeze with the pigtail, getting it adjusted with the trailer and deciding on if the boost feature is needed can take some time. Find a quiet street or parking lot to test it out on. Once you have it setup right and make note of the numbers, as at least in my case its been changed a few times.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I finally received the Prodigy today. Installing it this weekend. I've located the under dash connector and it looks to be an easy task. Can't decide just where to put it though. The biggest problem will be finding a location to test and adjust. Might have to pull it out to the speedway. LOTS of open pavement out there. Also going to have to reset my hitch. The F250 sits higher than the 150 did. I'm assuming that I just need to get TV and TT as level as possible. Nothing too high or too low in the front or rear and a fare amount of tention on the WD bars. This is all new ground for me. Trial and error, without much room for error.

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
KJ, sounds like you have a fun weekend of tweaking the setup! Take your time getting it setup, I did it mid-trip which was okay but a bit of a pain as well.

I put the Prodigy above my right knee for a couple of reasons. Since I'm right handed it fit me the best and would allow me the quickest reaction time if needed. Plus I figured if a really bad case I could hold the steering wheel and my DW could apply the brake control... hope I never have to find out how that would work.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A couple of quick questions. Which mount did most of you use for your Prodigy controls? The 'pocket' mount or the 'bracket' mount? Approximately what angle is your Prodigy mounted at with it working properly? Do you remove it when it's not in use? I'm trying to keep it as level as possible. The location where I'm putting it (for easy access) in the new F250 angles it at about 35 degrees with the pocket mount and about 28 to 30 degrees with the bracket. I think if I remove it when it's not being used, the bracket is somewhat unsightly, but I can keep it a little more level with that mount.
Am I over thinking this thing. Your helpfull opinions are surely appreciated.

·
Outbackers Contributor
3,580 Posts
I think the prodigy will work up to an angle of 70 degrees from level. I don't know what the angle is on mine, maybe 30 degrees or so. It's designed to work at all different angles.

I have mine mounted using the pocket bracket and leave it in all the time.

Don't think too hard, you don't want to strain anything

Mike

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,452 Posts
Like I said earlier, I use the pocket mount, and put it pretty much in the same place as Steve describes his, though I never thought of having the DW activate the unit. As far as mounting angle, mine is probably somewhere between 30 and 40. The great thing about the Prodigy is the flexibility in mounting locations and methods, because it doesn't need to be horizontal, like most other BC's

Tim

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
I have mine about 45 degrees, I think I'm using the pocket mount, but I leave it in all the time now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts