Outbacker RV Forum banner

Propane tank covers

6K views 22 replies 16 participants last post by  aplvlykat 
#1 ·
Does anyone else have problems with the rubber latches on the propane tank covers? My camper is a 2002/25FB. Maybe they have improved upon this, but mine has the rubber stretch latches that keep breaking. Any solutions would be appreciated. Thanks, and happy camping...

See less See more
#2 ·
Mine are breaking too. You can get more from the dealer. There has to be some sort of mod we can do, and avoid the rubber fasteners. Right now, I have those little stretchy womens hair things holding mine down in two places until I figure it out. I can't see buying new rubber pieces every year.
Maybe someone has a better plan.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I now have a ratchet-type tie down across the entire cover that I hook to each side of the frame. I then pull it down snug, but not tight enough to crack the cover. This worked well enough on last years summer outtings.

#5 ·
When I had the walk through on my trailer the guy told me not to pull the rubber straps all the way down until the ball is under the metal fork, even though that's how they're designed to work. He said I should just place the end tee-handle rubber part under the metal fork so it's looser. I've done this and have never broken a strap. The cover does vibrate a bit on top of the A-frame tubes and I have some minor corrosion in this area, but I'm guessing the cover will always vibrate here even with the straps fully tightened.

#6 ·
I also just pull the "T" part under the bracket, but I went one step further. I lined the mating surface of the cover with foam tape, the type used between a truck cap and bed. It stopped the cover from leaving markes from it moving around when traveling down the road on the frame and front of the trailer. This spring I am also going to install a piece of diamond plate to the front to stop stone damge to the front of the trailer, I have already got a good chip in the front fiberglass from a rock kicked up from the road. I don't think it was a option on the trailer, like it is on some other brands.
Mike

#7 ·
I just pull the "T" under the clip and haven't had any problems. If you pull the ball under the clip it's really tight and I could see it breaking.

Mike

#8 ·
When I picked up our 28 RSS last week the dealer told me they have been having some problems with them breaking. He also advised to just latch it with the T. Seems to be working fine.

#16 ·
My 04 23RS has it too...along with a broken strap! Ughhh
Some time ago there was a thread on here concerning this problem and how some folks were removing the blended fairing that comes with the TT and replacing it with a common twin tank cover. Probably works pretty well but it sure would get rid of the "Outbackish" look!.

Steve

#19 ·
Hi folks, well I just got done replacing the rubber hold downs with the one I ordered from Harbor freight. It took around two hours to complete because every rivet on the old hold downs had to be drilled out and new holes and rivets drilled into the frame for the new. They look good and seem to hold the cover down tight also they are adjustable so you can set them up for as tight as you like. Kirk

#21 ·
Ok Steve I will see if I can get some pic's posted tomorrow. As far as the part number look in the photo gallery under me, I ordered the one that cost $1.99. See you later got to go to a football game, season opener for the boy High school team. Kirk

#22 ·
$1.99

I check at the dealer for replace Outback straps... Are you ready for this

$24.99 Cnd each plus 15% tax

Love the 1st price and the part number would be great. It looks like on line ordering and shipping is the way to go.

Thor

#23 ·
Ok guy's I posted some pic's in my gallery. The only thing I modified was the little slide pin to lock the new holder down. I bought them at Home Depot for $1.28 for a two pack and had to drill a hole through the hold down bracket but everthing is good and tight. No more worries about those rubber straps breaking and loosing the propane cover. Kirk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.