Outbacker RV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have spent many years with a pop up's and are now thinking about trading in our 03 pop up to purchase a travel trailer. We have 2 different dealers with a price of 21k and 17k for the 23RS? The more expensive dealer is right in town, the cheaper is 3 hours away. Will the dealer in town have to honor the mfg warranty if we purchase from the cheaper dealer? We are not sure if dealers let you negotiate the price down? It is just the 2 of us camping, ocassionally we will take someone else with us, so we are struggling between the 21 & 23 foot. We have never pulled a travel trailer and dont know how the length will affect the travel. We have a 04 Silverado 4wd with the v8 engine and tow pkg. We are experienced pop up campers, but all the things involved with a travel trailer sometimes can be overwhelming. The last question I have is if you have to level the trailer the same way you do the pop up? Some of the campgrounds here you spend quite a bit of wood to get the camper level??

Any help or suggestions would be helpful

k & d

·
Outbackers Contributor
2,018 Posts
You local dealer should honor warranty repairs, but you may have trouble getting an appointment. The dealer I purchased from gave me a card with a customer number so they know I purchased from them. We get appointment priority over owners who purchased their Outback from other dealers. Something to consider. Ask your local dealer straight up about it. Also tell your local dealer the price you can get just 3 hours away. I did that and the local dealer matched the price.

Randy

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
You do need to level your camper, though how is up to you. Many just use scrap 2x6 boards long enough for the tandem wheels. I use the Lynx Leveler blocks for mine.

Your weight should be within the limits of your truck, but you need to check the owners manual to be sure. Knowing your rear axle ratio will help you decide, but the lengths you are looking at are light enough that I would be surprised if you were over the limit.

The dealer isn't required to do any work if you buy it elsewhere. If you have problems with them call Keystone and they should be able to recommend another dealer. The reality is though the local guy can do it, but you may be on the way back of the list for any work. Many of the wholesale dealers have caused a bit of a stink over this issue. My local dealer, who I ended up buying from, was honest and told me they would service it but they would do all their customers first which only seems reasonable. How far away is the dealer you are buying from?

The price difference is huge, sounds like the local dealer is giving you the MSRP price, heck we bought our 28RSS cheaper than than that. Have you told your local dealer about the other guys price? If they are not willing to match it I'd go to the other dealer, for $6,000 you can buy a lot of service anywhere you want to.

As for driving, you're going to see a huge drop in your mileage compared to a popup. The weight and the wind drag are significant. You'll probably want a Weight Distribution Hitch, like the Equali-z-er Hitch and a brake controller, if you don't have one already from your popup. I highly recommend the Prodigy, nothing else even comes close and for $99 the price is great too.

Finally, congrats on almost getting your new camper, hope to hear from you soon!

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,740 Posts
Y-Guy stated it perfectly...
I'd shop lower price. You shouldn't need to see the service dept more than once or twice during the warranty period anyway. Do a thorough PDI before leaving with the trailer, and you should be fine.

I also think you can get either of those units for less than 17K. (that's what I paid for an'03 25RSS) Good luck!

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,452 Posts
I agree with everything else that has been said. In addition to Outback dealers, any Keystone dealer can perform warranty work. I'd definately go to the local guy with the lower price, and see what he can do with his #'s. Make sure he know's that you are willing to drive 3 hours for the extra cash. We did the same thing, with two local dealers, one 65 miles in one direction, and the other 85 miles in the other. The low price I was using was from a dealership located 14 hours away in Michigan. The closer of the local places didn't budge much on their price, but the place 85 miles away came to with in $700 of the Michigan price. I figured I would have spent at least that much in gas and meals going out to MI to pick it up.

Good luck with your search.

Tim

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just one other note... the dealer I used (Lakeshore RV) is one of those Michigan dealers and they will ship. Their prices are great, I paid under 15K for the 21RS. You can see what they have in stock on rvtraderonline.com.

Kim

·
Registered
12 Posts
We have the 21RS and love it. We also travel pretty much by ourselves but would occasionaly have guests. The 23RS with 2 queens was not available when we bought but have since fallen in love with that model. The bunks are a waste of space to us but the 2nd queen would make a much nicer bed for visitors. We inquired about trading our 2004 in but the difference was going to be $6000.00. They said trade in value was low the first year. We will stick with what we have because we really are happy with it. It is a very easy trailer to pull and I don't think you would find to much difference between the two models. We are only pulling with a 2003 Chev pickup 2WD and have no problem. We level with stacked 4ft lengths of 1x6's that we bevelled on the edge. Enjoy your new camper whichever model you decide on.
Rob and Sherry

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the info. Looks like we are going to see the local dealer this week and see if he can come closer to the dealer 3 hrs away. We will look at the 21RS and 23RS, and will have to decide from there. I am really glad I found this site all the messages are helpful and make the decision a little easier!!

k& d

1 - 8 of 8 Posts