Outbacker RV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Keystone Outback Ultra-Lite 240URS
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2019 Outback Ultra-Lite 240URS with a rear king bed slide. After a two week 3,500 mile trip I noticed when doing some work in the trailer that the interior bottom hard plastic liner under the king bed has come partially detached (see picture). The liner appears to be attached to the far end of the bed but is hanging loose at the other.

Is this a common issue with rear slide bed areas? Is there a recommended way to reattach the liner? I have not tried to extend the slide out since I noticed the problem back in July.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Dealt with this before it became a problem on my 280 RS we use to own. Re screwed the whole bottom when slide in the out position.
Probably still has aluminum tubing that it attaches to like ours did. Good chance a lot of the screws they used missed the tubing.
Maybe extend the slide out a few feet and locate where the screws go into the tubing and adjust accordingly.
Once the first few feet are re attached extend the slide further out and continue.
Seems to me there was about 3-4 rows across going north South. Hope this helps.

·
Super Moderator
2,213 Posts
I had a similar but not as severe problem with this on our 2013 250RS. I found that the front edge of the liner was installed only with double sided tape which would occasionally come loose. Ended up tracking it up with short stainless screws along the front edge. After looking at the other edges, I decided to track them up the same way. Used about one screw per foot just to make sure the liner stays where it is supposed to be. Had the entire liner drop out on our prior trailer a 2008 21RS and it was quite a job getting it back in place. It had a manual slide and different construction which made the job harder.

Reactions: beernutzbob

·
Registered
5 Posts
I’d say it is fairly common. I have a 2012 210RS (shorter version of your floor plan) and have experienced that also. In my case the rear and side edges were still held up by the metal lip around the perimeter of the slide. It mainly hung down in the front when the slide was in. The rollers for the slide hold it up… for that reason, at least in my case, I’d could still move the slide in and out.

I have tried screws like others have but with mixed success. A problem is, I think, you cannot get the thing up against the bottom of the bed perfectly without anti-gravity or turning the trailer upside down. So you always have the underliner flexed a little bit when you install screws. Then moving the slide in and out over the rollers causing the underliner to flex some putting sideways pressure on the screws… eventually loosening the screws. I have had some one my screws fall out. I have replaced them with longer screws (1 1/4”) but am expecting that the same will happen to them at some point.

Ultimately it seems like what is needed is some adhesive under there that can flex a bit. I suspect that is what Keystone attempted… but with varied success. And I cannot think of a way to get it all down, adhesive applied, and the liner anti-gravitied back up into the adhesive (and under the metal lips and over the rollers).

I sometimes wonder if we really even need that underliner. What if we tore it down and just coated it with something… epoxy paint or something? I suspect the rollers would be too hard on the plywood or osb or whatever is under it. So.. just daydreaming.

·
Registered
2011 Outback 250RS 2003 Ford F-350, V10
41 Posts
Bob, did you end up fixing this issue?
I just checked mine, and sure enough, the entire front width of the panel is hanging down just like yours.
Mine: 2011 250RS

I am considering both double-sided carpet (which is super sticky and very durable) and short SS screws.

Fulminator: Any reason you did not go with tape?
Where did you place screws?
What size/type screws did you use?
I don't want to run screws into anything critical (path of rollers, wires, etc), but they need to screw into something solid.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2,213 Posts
There was already double sided tape on mine. That was the only thing holding the liner up in the front. I stuck it down again and put a row of screw about an inch from the front edge and a foot apart. Just need enough fastening to keep it from sagging.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts