Outbacker RV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new Outback towed well behind my '03 F250 Crew Cab on its maiden voyage. But, I wonder if the WD bars are set up correctly. There is hardly any tension on them and it requires little or no effort to lift the chains into the locking position. The Truck is level and so is the Trailer when hooked up. Maybe the 560# tongue weight is not enough to lower the truck considerably and therefore the lack of tension on the WD bars is not playing into the equation.

I have the chains set on the 5th link as the dealer set them and the directions state.

Should there be some effort involved in using the cheater bar to set the chains?

Johnny Rayburg

·
Outbackers Contributor
3,580 Posts
There should be a lot more tension on those bars than it sounds like you have. Our dealer didn't set up our hitch with enough tension on the bars either. You should have to use that cheater bar to get those bars to snap up. You can also hook up the trailer and use the tongue jack to jack up the rear of the truck and trailer and set the bars that way with little effort. If the bars are approximately parallel to the ground at 5 links, you may need to angle the hitch head back some more to get more tension. Think of the bars as the handles on a wheelbarrow, you want to pick up on the handles to transfer some weight to the front axle. This link http://www.can-am-rv.com/cantow1.htm gives some tips on how to set up the weight distribution bars. The reese instructions are also good at explaining how to set it up. The dual cam relies on a lot of tension from the bars to work properly.

Hope this helps

Mike

·
Outbackers Contributor
90 Posts
My bars are pretty tight, I also have to use the cheater to get the chains tensioned (or use tongue jack). Since I have a 1/2 ton pickup, I try to keep the bars as tight as I can (if I put them any tighter, the WD bar tries to rub the bottom of the trailer frame). Since you have a heavier truck, maybe you don't need as much tension, but sounds like you should have a little more.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts