Outbacker RV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning to all from Denny and Ida. New problem with our new Outback 5th wheel. We were just about to leave home when I decided to turn my 2005 dodge ram 1500 truck lights on due to a cloudy rainy morning. Guess what? no running lights. I checked my turn signals and brake lights and they work fine, just no running lights. I checked all the fuses in the truck and all are fine and the running lights on the truck work fine. I thought I just have a wire come loose in the 5th wheel. We parked in the camp ground about two miles from the rv dealer and will set up an appointment to check it out. The camp ground we are at has a nice lake that we like to fish so I went back home to get the boat and guess what, no running lights, The brake and turn signals work fine but no running lights. We have got a appointment set up with the rv dealer but he said we have got a problem with the ram truck. I told him that I agree there is a problem with the truck but that I didn`t have the problem until they put in the brake controller in the truck for the 5th wheel. Has any one ever had a problem like this???? I thought there might be a relay on the truck but I cant find one that has anything to do with the running lights. I would appreciate any help any one can give me. Thank you, Denny and Ida

·
Premium Member
8,097 Posts
The brake control should not affect the running lights.

Since you have two trailers with issues (now) the problem will be with the truck but the issue may not be a fuse. The Dodge trucks have a power management system that can turn off power to systems and the only way to get it fixed is to take it to a dealer to have the codes reset. That said you still need to inspect the wiring on the trailers for shorts that could have caused the truck power system to try and protect itself.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Check this thread and see if it may be your problem. Dodge Tail Lights Not Working I have had the same type issue. My Light Control Module (LCM) in my 2003 Silverado was not switching properly. The same bulb filament operates for brake/hazard/turn functions. The LCM makes the proper connection depending on which one of the three functions is desired. I seriously doubt you have two trailers with the same lighting problem. You have a truck problem. Test what I just said by having another truck hook up to your trailer. I will bet that running lights work.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts