Outbacker RV Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Fire44 said:
I am with everybody else. Forget the truck (they make new ones everyday), forget the trailer (they also make new ones everyday). Get the family out and get away from the rig. The seat belt cutter is a great idea, I carry a "escape tool" in my cars all the time and in my gear at the firehouse. It is a small "hammer" with a pointed head for breaking glass and has a seatbelt cutter molded into the handle. I don't remember where I picked them up but they do work pretty good, they will make quick work of a seatbelt. The pointed hammer does a good job on auto glass, if you think it is easy to break, go to a junk yard and give a window a try!!! (a spring loaded center punch works good on glass also but might be hard to find in a car after an accident)

Gary
[snapback]62916[/snapback]​
Anyone see that consumer reports were they tested those window smasher-seat belt cutters...holy cow was it hard to break a window with them or even cut through a seatbelt! (tseat belts are tough for a reason)

I guess I will be getting another extinguisher and putting it in the outside drawer.

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
A spring loaded center punch breaks auto glass much easier than a hammer. Tempered glass breaks very easily with them. You simply put the point on the glass (I use the lower corner...and push in. The center punch pops, and the glass shatters. They can be had at any hardware store for less than $5. Hitting the glass with any object usually makes the object bounce back...even an axe or hammer unless it hits exactly right. The center punch is a no-brainer, and quick.

·
Outbackers Contributor
3,007 Posts
Saw something this past weekend, and I wouldn't want it to happen to anyone! I was in Ellijay, GA, passing "Plum-Nelly's Campground" and noticed this huge plume of smoke and fire, way up on the hill........looked like a huge tree was on fire. It was, but so was the camper beneath it. It was a total loss. The whole thing burned up and caught the huge tree it was parked beneath on fire. I don't know if anyone got killed in it, or not. Looked like a permanent residence camper - had some fencing around it, and stuff. The weather was extremely cold (mid to low 20s) Saturday morning, and I wonder if this was heater-related. Please check those fire extinguishers!!
Darlene action

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,452 Posts
...and I wonder if this was heater-related.
This brings up an important point. We've had several fires this winter caused by improper use of radiant electric heaters. Specifically, the one's that look like a small radar dish. These heaters transfer heat through radiation, not convection (how the Outback furnace, and the small ceramic heaters transfer heat.) The heater directs an intense amount of heat at the objects in it's "line of sight" and heats them up, and if they are too close, and get hot enough, they can and will ignite. The fire below was linked to the use of one of these heaters.

IAFF Local 801 Photo Gallery

Please be careful your using these heaters in your Outbacks. The small ceramic's are a better option for the confined spaces of a camper.

Tim

·
Registered
19 Posts
When you say "Check all 12-volt connections before and after every trip. Most coach fires are caused by a 12-volt short.", what exactly do you mean? What is considered a "12 volt connection"(sorry for my lack of electrical knowledge)? Just check around the batteries and the connection into the trailer? I have a dual 12V battery setup. Thank you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for writing these safety tips. I will surely bookmark your post and keep it in view when planning for a vacation.

Much appreciate your efforts. Keep Posting!

21 - 29 of 29 Posts