Outbacker RV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there was an earlier thread on the satellite issue, but I can't seem to find it. I was curious, those of you who use your Satellite service while Outbacking, where did you get your dish, how do you know what dish to get, and does it really make a difference.

I have been looking at winegard's web page to select a dish, but there are several listed, and I don't want to get one, only to not have it work with my DirecTV.

Tim

·
Outbackers Contributor
3,580 Posts
I got my rca directv dish on ebay for $20 and another 20 for a tripod stand at radio shack. A piece of pvc pipe to mount the dish on and I was in business.

Mike

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't even think of ebay. I'll give that a look see Mike, and see what I can find.

Thanks

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,740 Posts
I got mine on ebay as well. I got a DISH 500 (DishNetwork) brand new for under $60. It's the one with 2 heads that hit 2 different sats. I understand the single head dish is universal, and will work with either DISHNETWORK or DIRECT TV. The receivers are different though.

I mounted mine to a 2'x2' board, and just set it on the ground with an equalizer bar laying on it to weight it down. Most times, I can just set it on the ground facing South, and don't have to adjust it to pick up the sats. I carry it in the trailer in that position. (bike access door)

Here is one of the old threads:
Satelite

Check this out for a home made stand!
Satelite Stand
I built one, and found it wouldn't work with the twin head sat. It would only pick up one sat at a time because it was inverted.
It works great for a single though!

·
Outbackers.com Founder
794 Posts
I have my original tripod and one that we had added to the roof of the RV about a year later. I have the tripod dish attached to the LNB with thumb nuts so the round part of dish can be easily removed and put under the bead for storage. As for the Winegard Digital Magic I love it
this thing works great. I read a post somewhere about where someone was having wind movement problems and yes it can happen at 20+ mile an hour winds and up. I can honestly say that this has only happened 2 times to us. There is about 2 or 3 inches play in the mechanism that raises it when up but you will only have this problem if the back of the dish is to the wind and of course it's already blowing everything else away as well. We always had to drive tent stakes and tie the tripod down with bungee cords, just the slightest gust of wind would blow that thing over. Pete that was a neat looking stand but sure could use some storage space.

Vern

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Vern,

Do you keep the tripod unit for times when you are on a wooded site? That is the only reason why I wouldn't want to be committed to a roof top antenna if I'm on a wooded site with no access to the southern sky, but then again, I guess we would just be back to camping without a television again.

I'll keep looking on ebay for now. It appears that the antenna's are generally universal, but it is just the reciever box the is service dependant.

Tim

·
Outbackers.com Founder
794 Posts
Tim sure do, we've only had to pull it out 1 time in a year but it was sure nice to have the Ole backup dish when were in the trees like that. I have 75 feet of cable so there is no problem if I need to use it.

Vern

·
Registered
266 Posts
I just got rid of my DirectTV service and went back to cable. I have a direct tv dish that's not being used if anyone is interested.

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,740 Posts
Vern...
It takes up a little space, but fits right in the "bike access door". I also replaced all nuts with wing nuts for ease in disassembly...if desired.

PS...a couple weeks ago, the snow was up over the bottom of the dish! Spring is coming!

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,740 Posts
Randy...

It's actually the 2x2' board my dish is mounted to. I had to deploy the portable dish because the one on the roof of my house was thought to be faulty. I figured out quickly, it was actually the cable connection corroding. I just left the portable up all winter because it snowed right afterward, and I got lazy. The neighbors probably think I'm trying to contact alien life forms with all the satelites in my yard!

·
Outbackers Contributor
3,580 Posts
Pete,

You're able to just point it south and pick up a satellite? I've got directv and have to be pretty accurate in pointing it.

Any aliens get in touch yet?

Mike

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,740 Posts
It's all in finding a level spot to set the dish on. If I find a level spot, point it South, and just turn it slowly, it sometimes comes right in. If not, I have to rock it forward and back a little until I get the signal. Sometimes I just have to tuck a stick under the front of the board or something, and that's it. I have not had to loosen the nuts on the dish to get a signal at all. Maybe I'm just lucky!

No aliens yet...unless you count my teenager!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts