Outbacker RV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a used 2013 298re. I see outside there is a coax cable connection for Satellite TV. What I am not sure is where the other end shows up inside the rig that I would need to connect the box to. Also we have a tv in the bedroom and one in the living room. Anything I need to do to get the signal to both locations? We have just been using cable when available at a campground but recently we have been doing more rving where there is no cable hookup so thinking of taking our Direct Tv on the road with us. Any help would be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Since we have the same trailer and are using the Dish "Tailgater", I'll do my best to help you.

Our rig is a 2012 model, so I'll assume they are the same.

The outside connection marked "Satellite Prep" is merely a pass through to the other side of that wall. When we set our DISH Tailgater outside, we plug into that port. Then we plug our receiver into the port on the inside of that same wall. Now, the only way to get HD to the big living room pop-up TV is to run a short HDMI cable directly to that TV. I just leave the HDMI cable hooked to the TV all the time, and just grab it when we hook up to the satellite.

To get the signal from the satellite box to the bedroom TV, I remove the coax cable from the back of the big living room TV and plug it into the cable output on the satellite box. Since it's really close, it reaches just fine. I also have the "RCA" audio plugs that go to the big TV moved to the satellite box also. This allows us to listen to whatever is playing on the satellite box to play through the trailer's stereo, whether it's a movie or a music station.

Obviously, you're stuck with watching whatever is tuned on the satellite box in the bedroom. And, since the remote for the box is an infra-red signal, you can't easily change channels from the bedroom. That is unless you have a cool little converter device that the Dish people provided for us. This device has a small gizmo in the bedroom that converts the IR signal from the remote to RF, then a second gizmo in the living room changes the RF back to IR so the box can read it. Oh by the way, even though the TV we have in the bedroom is capable of HD, the cable out signal from the box is standard definition. No big deal, the picture is fine for us.

Okay, now for the other outside port marked "Cable". This is the one we use when the RV park or campground provides cable service. When you plug into this, you'll get signal to both the living room TV and the bedroom. Pretty straight forward.

The ceiling connection provides both AC and 12VDC power. We use a Samsung TV from Costco that will operate on 12VDC. The TV comes with an AC to DC power supply that is very awkward for this application. I found the correct plug for a couple of bucks at the local electronics store, and wired a short cigarette adapter. Then using a very simple wall mount, we have bedroom TV even when dry camping without AC power. This wall mount comes with (2) wall pieces so you can hang the TV in a second location if you chose. TV wall mount

That's all I have! Dave

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have a newer TT, however my sat coax runs from the outside to the TV in the main area (ours came with just one TV, although we have OTA coax runs in the bedrooms).

My sat receiver box sits under the main TV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought a new KING antenna to replaced my old King control flex dish. By comparison, this was much easier to get up and running. I like the new cover. Allows you to check on the dish during setup to make sure it’s working properly. The ease of the setup was surprising and the picture quality is amazing!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts