Outbacker RV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Outbackers Contributor
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, two day ago I was walking past my Outback when I happened to notice that several of the bolts mounting the anti sway ball bracket to the a-frame were missing their heads.
I quickly broke out the old socket wrench and pulled out the remaining bolts (which turned out to be lag bolts), one of which snapped off as soon as I put pressure on it. Could be that I overtightened my sway control last time I pulled the camper (one of those Reese friction types). Or, perhaps the installer at the dealer used an impact wrench and didn't drill a hole big enough prior to installing them and stress fractured them. In any case, I was pretty amazed to see this occured (and VERY glad I noticed before my next trip - would have put me into an entirely new level of pissed off had the thing snapped off while I was driving down the highway).
I ended up buying six new type 8 bolts with washers (flat for the front and lock for the back) and nuts. I locktighted the things for good measure. Dont envision that thing going anywhere now...

·
Outbackers Contributor
1,877 Posts
Ymryl,

Good catch, glad that you caught this before it became a real problem.

This should be a good reminder for everyone to double check things, especially after being in storage.

Safety first.

Thanks for the info.

Kevin

·
Outbackers Contributor
123 Posts
Ymryl, Same thing here! I caught it at the dealer though. I believe the bolts are very soft. The heads also look like they were "stamped" not "cast". Not the greatest hardware. Better bolts and drill out old, like you said! Brian

·
Outbackers Contributor
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't think it would have been catestrophic had the remaining bolts snapped off while driving, but the thought of dragging the anti sway bar down the highway is not pleasant. In any case, I'm pulling the unit to my office in the AM and meeting the wife at Jellystone in Sturbridge, MA in the afternoon for a weekend stay so I'll get to make sure my repair holds up.

·
Outbackers Contributor
1,877 Posts
Ymryl,

Enjoy the trip, supposed to be a good weekend.

Have you ever been to Old Orchard Beach in Maine? My wife wants to head out there for labor day, will see. My brother lives in Albany so I would probably stop there since it is the halfway point.

Happy camping.

Kevin

·
Outbackers Contributor
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, we camped up there last year in a pop-up. Stayed at Bayleys. Pretty nice place. Be sure to bring bug spray, they grow the mosquitos BIG up there in Maine.

·
Outbackers Contributor
1,207 Posts
Those same bolts are what they give you to bolt on the dual cam setup and they also use them to anchor the chain bracket on the outside. I also went and bought hardened bolts and replaced all of them. Oh, something you guys may want to look at is on the front of the chain bracket there are two square holes, when I took the TT to a hitch place they told me these hole should have bolts in them to hold it into place, the dealer only tightened down the back bolt so I ended up putting the other two in the front. You guys may want to check to see if yours are installed. Kirk

·
Outbackers Contributor
1,877 Posts
Kirk,

On the dual cam, are you referring to the two gold self tapping bolts? Did you replace these? if so what did you put in there, another self tap bolt?

I also thought the chain bracket didn't seem right with only that set bolt on the rear of the bracket. What kind of bolt did you put in the square holes?

Thanks for the information.

Kevin

·
Outbackers Contributor
1,207 Posts
Hi kevin, Yes but there are really four per bracket, two on the face and two under. The guy I talked to sells and installs reese equippment. He said the way he installs the dual cam setup is to use the two self tapper on the bottom and drill the frame( no joke this time guy's) and use hardened bolts but you have to be careful not to crush the frame. The chain bracket he said to use carrage bolts but I did not want to drill all the way through again so I used self tappers to hold it into place. It just did not seem right that all that held the chain bracket was the back bolt so thats why I looked into it. Kirk

·
Outbackers Contributor
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the tip Kirk, I was in fact looking at those holes the other day wondering if there should have been bolts in there. I'll add some next week when I get back.

·
Outbackers Contributor
1,877 Posts
Kirk,

So the cam sway bracket bolts go all the way thru the frame? And also two bolts in the bottom? Sounds like a lot since the instructions only call for those two self drill bolts. I am not sure I want to be drilling holes thru the frame.

Where did you find the self drill bolts for the chain bracket?

I will look at it tonight and see.

Thanks for the info.

Kevin

·
Outbackers Contributor
1,207 Posts
I picked the self tappers up from the shop I talked to. I was a little leary about drilling the frame also but thats how he said he did does it and I thought if he was the pro then I would go ahead and follow his example. He was putting one on when I was there so he showed me in his shop. He also showed me on the dual cam bracket on the inside where the manufactor notched it so you can use a socket or wrench to tighten bolts. The other thing I considered was to wield both sets of brackets but never followed up on this. Kirk

·
Outbackers Contributor
1,207 Posts
Ok you guys really made me wonder if I was told correctly. I called Reese and talked to the tech about how I was told to do this. He told me all that is needed are the self tappers on the face of the daul cam but it will not hurt to put the two in the bottom. He also said it will not hurt anything to drill as long as you use flat washers and lock washers or locking nuts. You just have to be careful not to crush the frame. The chain holder he told me it is not needed to put the two in the face but it would not hurt. Again he said use self tappers and if you use carrage bolts use the washer set up. He also said that this is really over kill and to check the bolts every so often for tightness reguardless if they are self tappers or not. Hope this helps. Kirk

·
Outbackers Contributor
1,877 Posts
Kirk,

I emailed Reese and this is what they said about all of this.

"The frame bracket will be fine with the set bolt in the back. You may
add bolts if you like.

The dual cam frame bracket will be fine with the self tapping bolts and
the set screw in the back. You do not want to drill through the entire
tube. You will just crush the tube when the bolt is tightened
."

That is the way mine is setup and I think I will keep it that way for now. I will just keep checking to make sure the bolts remain tight and not broken.

Thanks for the help

Kevin

1 - 14 of 14 Posts