Outbacker RV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Outback 250RS 2003 Ford F-350, V10
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 250RS. Have not slept in it yet, but will soon.

Visually, it appears that the slide bed is tilted slightly down towards towards rear. I plan to check with a level, but wondering how you sleep.....

Head towards rear (head under cabinets) or head on opposite side towards living room?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2,215 Posts
I might be wrong, but I've always thought that the front end of the rear slide on our 250RS is slightly taller than the rear end. You might want to check not only to see if the bottom of the slide is level but that the top is too. If they aren't parallel, that might be what could be throwing off your sense of level when looking at it. When you check with the level, be sure to check the floor of the trailer to compare to the rear slide.

When I camp, I like to make the front end of the trailer slightly higher than the rear for several reasons. When the front is high, water runs to the back of the rear slide when it rains and doesn't try to get under the seals. Condensation from the AC runs to the back gutter spouts so I don't have waterfalls hitting me when I access the front storage and bike doors. The bathroom door naturally swings shut in place of swinging open. Finally, water from the shower runs back into the tub in place of out onto the floor.

Reactions: SoCalAngler

·
Super Moderator
2,215 Posts
Head towards rear. It's really hard to crack the rear window otherwise.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I sleep head towards the rear. As for the slide, I have the same thing where it is a little lower in the back (I confirmed with a level). I searched online and found a forum where they contacted the manufacturer and was told it was by design so if it rains or water gets on the slide the water doesn’t drain into the trailer and drains away. I have my trailer front end down a little to offset the bed slide some as its annoying sleeping on such a slope (I still leave a small slope on the slide for drainage). Looking at putting a large wedge under the bed.

·
Registered
2019 Keystone Outback Ultra-Lite 240URS
19 Posts
We sleep heads to the rear in ours. I added a 12v converter and dual USB chargers and reading lamps to our bedroom and they're oriented to be used when your head is at the back. I also added cup holders on the back side of each of the the bedroom cabinets. We use the USB chargers to power small 12v fans to keep the air circulating in the bedroom.

·
Registered
2011 Outback 250RS 2003 Ford F-350, V10
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We sleep heads to the rear in ours. I added a 12v converter and dual USB chargers and reading lamps to our bedroom and they're oriented to be used when your head is at the back. I also added cup holders on the back side of each of the the bedroom cabinets. We use the USB chargers to power small 12v fans to keep the air circulating in the bedroom.
Do you happen to have pics of your mods? Mine is a 2011. I have overhead cabinets at rear wall and side windows. I could tap into the lights for 12V USB charger ports.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Do you happen to have pics of your mods? Mine is a 2011. I have overhead cabinets at rear wall and side windows. I could tap into the lights for 12V USB charger ports.
I don't have pictures but I'll take some the next time I'm at the trailer. Tapping into the 12v system would probably be preferable as the 12v converter has to be plugged into an 110v outlet to work and it has a fan which makes a little noise.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Here's the driver's side setup my wife uses. The small 12v 3 speed fans clip on. Her dual USB 3.0 fast charger is in the bottom center of the cabinet and her reading light, which also has a USB charger, is just in front of where her head would be.

Here's the passenger side setup I use. My dual USB 3.0 fast charger is behind my fan. TBH I think if I could do over I'd put it a little more accessible location to make it easier to plug in USB cords. I added the little under cabinet rack to hold things like my phone, glasses and books.

You can see in the top picture where the 12v wiring comes out of the back of her cabinet and goes over the back window valance and in the above picture where it goes back into my cabinet. This is the only really visible wiring other than the power cord. It probably goes without saying, but holes had to be cut in the cabinets for the wiring, the lights, and the USB chargers. I ran individual 12v wires from the converter to each thing it powers which is why there are two wires leaving one cabinet and entering the other.

The 12v converter must be plugged into a 110v outlet so I cut a small hole for the cord which plugs into an outlet in the ceiling which is visible when the slide is out. We just have to remember to unplug it before bringing the slide in but it is very visible from the slide switch so this has never been an issue.

This is the 12v converter. I was originally planning to mount it on the wall next to where its power cord goes through the cabinet wall but my wife doesn't care that it lays horizontally in the cabinet so I've left it there for now. The converter has a small cooling fan in it but if we run one or both of the clip on fans it is hard to hear it.

I bought some 12v wiring to connect everything and some sticky wire guides as seen in the upper left of the picture to keep everything somewhat organized.

This is one of the USB chargers up close. There's a voltage readout in a blue light between the two ports so I put a piece of electrical tape on it as I like to sleep as dark as possible. I bought I believe a 7/8" hole drill bit to cut through the cabinet bottom. Some of the USB chargers like this on amazon came with the bit to cut the hole but the ones I wanted didn't so I bought it separately.

The reading lights are touch on and off and the wire connections for the ones on my side were so sensitive that if something in the cabinet touched them the light would come on. I velcroed a small tupperware container over the connections to keep this from happening.

Let me know if you'd like links to the various parts I bought from amazon. I think everything was a little under $200 but it has made the bedroom area many times more livable so we both think it was well worth the cost.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts