Outbacker RV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
We have an Outback '04 Fifth Wheel, model number 28 FRL-S. We just got home from camping and the slide out WILL not go out. It makes clicking sound, but will not go out. It's like it doesn't engage to go out. Sounds like the motor runs fine, but no motion, just clicking. We do not have the manual to refer to or I would not be asking for advice. We have unloaded it, but would really like to figure out what's going on. Does anyone have any ideas? Or know of the manual way to slide it out?

Thanks
Myrtle Beach Bums

·
Registered
703 Posts
When my switch went out on the sofa slide, I popped the footer off of the sofa and located the motor. On the motor you shoul see a fitting that you can operate with a socket wrench or a power drill on low speed. It will take it in and out for you until you can get it fixed. It saved a trip to the mountains for me. It's gotta be on that slide somewhere....maybe sombody else with with one knows. ---Mike

·
Outbackers Contributor
3,592 Posts
If it clicks, it may be a low battery. Are you plugged into shore power?

Sometimes the battery isn't charged enough to run the motor for the slide.

Steve

·
Registered
577 Posts
I've never manually extended the slide myself so this is just what I recall from memory. Hopefully, it is correct. There should be a panel on the underbelly of your 5er, opposite to the slide, that is either held in place by some screws or more likely just a flap held up with some tape. It is probably about 1 square foot and kind of hard to notice. Open it up and you should see the slide motor with a sticker on it. You should have a crank handle somewhere that needs to be inserted where that sticker is. I have read it is not fun or fast to extend the slide manually so some people rig a drill to do it for them. If you have any trouble, I'm sure if you gave your dealer a call, they could talk you through it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've never manually extended the slide myself so this is just what I recall from memory. Hopefully, it is correct. There should be a panel on the underbelly of your 5er, opposite to the slide, that is either held in place by some screws or more likely just a flap held up with some tape. It is probably about 1 square foot and kind of hard to notice. Open it up and you should see the slide motor with a sticker on it. You should have a crank handle somewhere that needs to be inserted where that sticker is. I have read it is not fun or fast to extend the slide manually so some people rig a drill to do it for them. If you have any trouble, I'm sure if you gave your dealer a call, they could talk you through it.
Exactly what I needed to do to fix this problem last summer, however you should see a bolt. I just made a couple turns on the bolt then went back and engaged the motor. It opened right up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
this may sound crazy but make sure that your ground wires are tight. you have two ground wires one by the battery compartment by the support post. you can tell the ground because its bolted to the frame. you also have one under the r.v next to the low drain ports. this ground wire will be a #10 and will go to your fuse box. why this is important because the motor must get its full voltage to run and its 12 d.c. and like a car they use the frame as a wire. you all so can under the RV and look for a 6 inch square cut out located by the rear tire open that up and take a ratchet and open the slide out manually. ( I am assuming you have a full charge on you battery.)

·
Registered
291 Posts
My back slide does this as well. I have noticed that if I open my big slide all the way it will make the back slide engage. There have been a couple of times that the big slide only had to go out about half way. I am assuming it is slightly out of adjustment and the level of that side of the coach has something to do with it. Does your clicking sound continue as long as you are pushing the in/out switch or is it intermittent like more electrical popping. Mine sounds totally mechanical, like the gears are not engaging.
j

·
Registered
196 Posts
If it clicks, it may be a low battery. Are you plugged into shore power?

Sometimes the battery isn't charged enough to run the motor for the slide.

Steve
X2 I had a trailer do the exact same thing. It ended up that the battery was low and was not being charged by a bad power converter.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Under the rig you should find a square cut out. Take out a couple screws and you will see a bolt for manually operating the slide. Using a ratchet make a couple turns. Go back inside the camper and hit the switch. Hopefully it moves for you.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Under the rig you should find a square cut out. Take out a couple screws and you will see a bolt for manually operating the slide. Using a ratchet make a couple turns. Go back inside the camper and hit the switch. Hopefully it moves for you.
Mine did the exact same thing...moving it manually a couple of turns freed it up...works fine now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mine did the exact same thing...moving it manually a couple of turns freed it up...works fine now.
[/quote]

I am having the same problem with my 325FRE Outback 5th wheel, 2011. When I look under the belly I see 2 12x12 panels screwed into the underbody cover. When I take the screws out, there is no hole in the underbody cover. Do I need to cut holes in the underbody cover to access the bolt for manually operating the slide?

Thanks
Tom

·
Administrator
18,056 Posts
I am having the same problem with my 325FRE Outback 5th wheel, 2011. When I look under the belly I see 2 12x12 panels screwed into the underbody cover. When I take the screws out, there is no hole in the underbody cover. Do I need to cut holes in the underbody cover to access the bolt for manually operating the slide?

Thanks
Tom
Yes... I recommend cutting a big X vs cutting out a square. With the X cut, you can open the area...get your tool in there to crank down...and it still closes back onto itself.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts