Outbacker RV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that I never hear of anyone trying local restaurants when there camping. We've kind of made it a habbit to check out whatever small towns are closest to where ever we might be camping. Hit some antique shops, flea markets, festivals and such. In doing so, we always try to find that 'gem' of a restuarant. The "hole in the wall" place that REALLY serves up some awesome eats. Of course, being in unfamiliar territory, we also try to be careful and pay attention to surroundings too. I'm curious if anyone else does this. We've found some great places doing this and always go to those places whenever we camp in the area. Just wondering.

Keller
James

·
Registered
366 Posts
Depending on lenght of stay we always try new places. Weekenders is usually only once. But we always check out local happenings, little shops and the hole in the walls
or whatever may look interesting on the side of the road

In doing so we have found a few "Gems" that we return to when in the area

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,740 Posts
I usually never leave the woods! Sounds like a good idea though. Sometimes, the campground has a restaurant that we try.

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
About the same here, once we setup we usually just hang out at the camper for meals. Though when we're on the coast we go out for a late lunch at least once. Its fun to find the hole in the wall places that have some class and good food though.

You know one place I do miss since leaving Missouri is Sonic....
Not a hole in the wall, but much better than the Arches.

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,452 Posts
For weekends, we usually just eat at the camper. Other trips, we mix it up, some nights cooking, some nights eating out.

Tim

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SONIC !! I eat there a couple of times a week. We have three of them, all about the same distance from the house. Almost burned out on them. However, if I were to move where there were no Sonics,,, I would sure miss them. If your ever in Sanger Texas around dinner time, check out 'Babe's'. Great home cooking. If your still hungry when you leave there,,,, then your a bottomless pit. Some of the waitresses will go around the resaurant with a mic and sing old country tunes. They sing very well too. We're camping up there next weekend. Can't wait for the camping and even though I'm NOT a country western fan, I still can't wait to eat at Babe's.

·
Outbackers Contributor
3,580 Posts
Our first trip camping a few years ago, the truck stop at the exit we used had a Dairy Queen. The one where we grew up closed a long time ago. Boy did that bring back memories, chocolate cone dipped it chocolate...... oh yeah!!!!!!

Mike

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,740 Posts
DAIRY QUEEN is great. Love those shakes!

I miss the SONIC's too. What I really miss....A&W! They are few and far between in these parts.

Kudo's to the arches too. The heiress, Joan Kroc was an ANGEL! She flew here in 1997 when the entire city was underwater (FLOOD OF THE MILLENIUM). She saw the devastation firsthand, and gave everyone in town $2,000. ($10 million total)
She died recently. May she rest in peace.

RONALD MCDONALD HOUSE and all the other charities...they still do great things for people.

We will never forget.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My brother and his wife had their first child last year and she (the little one) had a lot of difficulties at birth. The Ronald McDonald House REALLY came through for them during that time. We were all very greatful. Have made donations to them in show of appreciation. Wonderful group of caring people.

·
Outbackers Contributor
1,212 Posts
Just got back from lunch at the local Sonic..my usual lunchtime hangout in small town Texas.
Great place for a quick meal and a drink that will last the afternoons at work.

We also try local hangouts and dives when we travel. Just a few weeks ago, we were camping at Quintana Beach Park near Freeport, TX. ( a great little RV spot, we loved it.) and we found a place called the Jetty, and it looked like the stiff wind we were having would take it down. We went in anyway as it was the only place nearby that had a shrimp po'boy, and it was great. We had to wait, but we had nothing but time, and just took in the ambience.

We are also combat tested now in the 28RLS. We were camping in S. F. Austin State Park this past weekend when SEVERE weather came through. The campground lost electricity, and we experienced blinding rain, wind, continuous lightening, etc. We came through with a small amount of water from one of the vents. We'll be taking it in to the dealer for a fix. I would estimate a tablespoon or two of water came in after 5" of rain fell.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts