Outbacker RV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Can anyone help? There is a loud shuddering noise
when the couch slider is being retracted. My husband looked outside underneath and just left of center there is a silver square hex bolt that goes through the gasket and it appears to be loose and not connected to anything. We were wondering if this loose bolt has anything to do with the shuddering noise. The shuddering noise is only evident when the slider is being brought in. We don't hear it when it is opening up.

Could someone check there's for this bolt and tell me if it is tightened? Any thoughts on what the problem is? I checked the other posts but didn't see anything on this.

We are leaving Friday for a quick weekend getaway and will not be able to get it in for service. Don't want to have any probs on the road.

Any advice is appreciated.

Lisa

·
Outbackers Contributor
1,207 Posts
Hi Lisa, Ok I went out and looked for the bolt you mentioned and located it. That bolt looks to me to be an adjustable stop which makes contact with the outside frame to keep it from coming in all the way. In my case it is tightened down and not in use, which I think will be just fine because when I retract my slider it makes a ratching sound and I know to stop pushing the button. If yours is loose I think I would tighten it down out of the way of the outside frame. I also removed the front panel on the couch and looked at the slider unit. To do this you need to pop the buttons off the front panel and remove the screws with a square bit. You should have four wheels that make contact with the bottom when going out so it moves smoothly, my wheels, when going out, only make contact the last 2/3 of the way, also you can get to the bolt when tightening. I think you may want to check that all bolts are tight and that the slider is riding on the wheels as a temp fix then take it in to the dealer after your trip. Hope this helps Kirk

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Kirk. Thanks for checking yours out for me. We will take your advice to tighten the bolt and then remove the sofa panel and check out the wheels.

Thanks again.

lisa

·
Outbackers Contributor
90 Posts
Hi kampinit,
Sorry to hear you're having problems. Don't mean to scare you, but with an '04 I assume you're still under warranty. On our third or fourth time out, our slider wouldn't come in when we were leaving. I cranked it in by hand and took it directly to the dealer. They found that the main supports (just pieces of dimensional lumber) that connect the slider mechanism to the trailer had broken. They told me that they've seen this on a few trailers. They completely removed the slide out, replaced the supports with larger ones (I think 2x4's), and re-installed the slider. They said that they had contacted the factory, but they were still fixing them at the dealer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts