Outbacker RV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 2003 28BHS. I tell everyone - it is a pretty camper, but a piece of @#$##
Have had tons of problems too. Frist time out- slide out broke. 2nd time out- hot 4thof July weekend- refridgerator broke. 3rd time out stove fell apart while boiling water (thank goodness kids weren't near by). Dealer fixed all of the above mentioned, but it is pretty disappointing when you pay so much $ for a camper, you have your summer planned and then it is in the shop. We have also had the water heater valve had to be replaced because it was leaking, had major leak on a rainy weekend because of cracks in caulk by roof vent. Last problem was a smell coming from the floor vent outside the bathroom. Dealer said they couldn't smell anything, so they can't fix it. I think there is a leak in the tank or something and of course they couldn't smell it because there is nothing in the tank when we bring it to them. They said they couldn't take down the covering on the bottom of the trailer to check it out because factory wouldn't approve it. They said they did a pressure test, but didn't see a problem. That doesn't get rid of the problem. It's like we are camping in an outhouse. Anybody else have this smell problem???? We like the camper, but have had so many problems we are thinking of selling and going up to a 5th wheel - not an Outback though.

·
Outbackers Contributor
90 Posts
We also had a smelly black water tank and every time the toilet was used the smell would come into the trailer, it was nasty. We're lucky enough to have a dump station about a mile away, so every time we use the trailer I dump it, then run home and fill the tanks with fresh water, and dump again. This still wouldn't stop the build up of stink in the tank.

After dumping the fresh water out of both tanks, I took a plastic water bottle, opened the toilet valve, and stuck the nozzle of the water bottle in the toilet to prop the valve open. I also cracked open the bathroom vent while storing the trailer. This will air out the tank and prevent build up of the gas. Be sure to use a bottle large enough such that the body of the bottle can't fit through the toilet and get accidentally dropped into the black tank, or attach a string to the bottle and tie it to the cabinet in the bathroom to prevent dropping the bottle. Once you do all this, use liberal amounts of tank deoderant while using the trailer. It helped us a lot. You may have another issue like a broken or leaking vent pipe, but controlling the tank odor may help.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Have had absolutely no problem with that. Black tanks will always have horrible smell. I always, ALWAYS keep a few inches of water or RV antifreeze in the bottom of the toilet. Never any smell. If flush valve is opened for several seconds at a time with nothing going down, yes I smell it. DISGUSTING ! I know. as far as your vent having a smell, that's not right. As far as your dealer service being unable to open the underside of the trailer to investigate the problem, THAT'S B.S. I know that the problems you've had with your trailer are frustrating, but it sounds as if your service dept. has their heads way up, if you know what I mean. Our service dept. would not hesitate to open it and find the problem without checking for factory approval. That's a pack of hooie to phrase it politely.
I'd contact the OWNER of the dealership and inform him or her of all this and the history of everything that's gone on. I'd bet that you'll get some results then. If not, then you unfortunately have found a very bad dealer
. The quality of dealer has so much to do with the overall feeling towards a product. I think some dealers get idiots in some key positions and everybody loses. Best of luck with all this mess.

·
Outbackers Contributor
2,018 Posts
When we had our walk through on Friday (picked up our 2004 26RS), the dealer rep said there was no need to use that blue chemical stuff (breaks down solids and deodorizes) in our black tank. However, when we rented a Keystone Cabana before purchasing our Outback, that dealer did put the blue chemicals into the black tank before we left.

I plan on buying / using the "solid breaker downer" chemicals and the deodorizer that was provided with our camper. Breaking down solids (including TP) should help keep the tank cleaner, longer.

Randy

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,740 Posts
I think you'll find using the chemicals are necessary. Not only for odor control, but for breaking the solids into easy flowing fluids. MAKE SURE you use plenty of H2O. That is MORE important than anything else.
I learned my lesson. Keeping H2O and chemical in the bottom will also help with odor.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all of your replies. We do use the blue stuff both while camping and while in storing between trips. THe problem isn't the smell from the toilet, it is that is it coming out of the heat vent while we are camping- will take your advice and talk to the dealer some more if we decide not to sell.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts