Outbacker RV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gave the Outback a bath today. Even after rubbing and rubbing, I can still see dark streaks on the lower front panel.
Anyone else have that?? Whats the best at removing it?? Please don't say 'elbow grease'. Used enough of that today.

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
and here I thought you meant you were celebrating that fine 70s sport of running through the campground buck naked! LOL

I agree with Jolly, the black streak remover stuff works wonders. I did use the wax after I used it on my Kiwi to be safe since I have no idea how strong the stuff is at removing the wax.

·
Outbackers Contributor
90 Posts
I read somewhere else on this site about gutter extensions made from 3/4" I.D. clear tubing. I installed them and they direct the water to the ground instead of down the side of the trailer. It was a great suggestion that works well, and if your trailer is level, will totally prevent the black streaks. I made mine about 3" long, beyond the gutter spouts. They look kind of funny, just because I know they're there, but I'm sure the casual observer doesn't even notice them.

Thanks OUTBACKERS!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies folks. I've heard of the Black Streak Remover and ProtectAll products, but haven't heard whether they actually work. Guess I'll get some. Thanks again.

·
Outbackers Contributor
3,915 Posts
I picked up some Thetford black streak remover and they wipe right off with no effort.

On a preventive maintenance note, clean out your rain gutters and keep them clean and you will greatly reduce the streaks in the first place. I did mine this weekend and they were loaded with black dirt from the roof. While I was up there washing the roof with my extension brush, I also brushed out the gutter channels then blasted them out with a hose.

I too use Gel-Gloss on all the fiberglass and metal outside. The Outback is looking good today

·
Registered
630 Posts
I used a can of black streak remover just today and although it worked well, it did not work any better then the simple green that I used last year. However, other brands may work better then the remover I used.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Someone told me to use wooden clothespins on the gutters. This will keep the water from dropping on the body.. Good luck

Pete action

·
Registered
105 Posts
I use the clothespins at each corner, and if you place them just right, the water drips away from the side of the trailer. I actually use plastic pins because there is a "channel" that the water seems to flow through.

·
Outbackers Contributor
2,018 Posts
Could you guys post a picture of this...uhh..clothespin mod? I think I know what you are talking about, but would love to see it.

Randy

·
Registered
51 Posts
California Jim said:
I picked up some Thetford black streak remover and they wipe right off with no effort.

On a preventive maintenance note, clean out your rain gutters and keep them clean and you will greatly reduce the streaks in the first place. I did mine this weekend and they were loaded with black dirt from the roof. While I was up there washing the roof with my extension brush, I also brushed out the gutter channels then blasted them out with a hose.

I too use Gel-Gloss on all the fiberglass and metal outside. The Outback is looking good today
Is the Gel(l) Gloss a name brand available everywhere or only in specialty camping stores?

Thank you

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,740 Posts
Jimbo
I had never heard of GEL GLOSS until this thread. I was walking through our local home center (Menards) and there it was. (I wasn't even looking for it) It was set up near the bathtubs and showers, because you can wax them with it. It was less than $5 per can. I haven't tried it yet. The can is pink.

Pete

·
Registered
54 Posts
I too use the "clothspin" mod, works great no streaking at all. Somtimes even stay on when traveling. Will post pictures when Outback gets out of storage.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Hey Y-Guy,

My wife likes the clear plastic tubes you add...very nice...where can we buy that kind of tubing...seems it would work perfect.

It seems April showers is true in Virginia just when all the tourists are here to see the cherry blossoms!

Thanks!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I like the clear tubes too, although the clothespins seem to work well. The majority of my black streaks were on the front panel. Rain gutters have no effect in that area. Haven't given it a secound bath yet, but I do have some Thetford Streak Remover on hand now, for when I feel energetic enough to wash it again. Also picked up some Gel Gloss. Why does the lable say "1 step cleaner, polish and sealer? Your supposed to wash the RV first. Let it dry. Apply the Gel Gloss and let it dry to a white haze. Then wipe it off with a soft clean cloth. That's a LOT more than one step.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts