Outbacker RV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
I have been using the surge protector from Progressive Industries. I am using the 30 amp model and it has been great. They also make a 50 amp model. It has a display to show the current voltage, amps, hertz, and if there are errors with the wiring, so you know before you connect your rig. It isn't cheap, but replacing all of the electronics on a rig isn't cheap either.

http://tweetys.com/portable-50-amp-electrical-management-system.aspx?gclid=Cj0KEQjwgI6pBRDak6aRovWNqLsBEiQA8zZSLn4mNOKbUl5XYSCytKV2MbHw5SNbbjSuRKJDKyo8sKYaAguS8P8HAQ

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have been using the surge protector from Progressive Industries. I am using the 30 amp model and it has been great. They also make a 50 amp model. It has a display to show the current voltage, amps, hertz, and if there are errors with the wiring, so you know before you connect your rig. It isn't cheap, but replacing all of the electronics on a rig isn't cheap either.

http://tweetys.com/portable-50-amp-electrical-management-system.aspx?gclid=Cj0KEQjwgI6pBRDak6aRovWNqLsBEiQA8zZSLn4mNOKbUl5XYSCytKV2MbHw5SNbbjSuRKJDKyo8sKYaAguS8P8HAQ
Thanks for the reply

·
Registered
257 Posts
Waiting on the 2016 302FBH with 50 amp service to come in. Been buying additional items and wondering what surge protectors others are using with good results. Thanks for the input.
I have also been using the Progressive Industries portable unit for several years, and it seems to work great. I has often had it tell me there was reverse polarity, or some other wiring problem before I had the rig hooked up. It self destructed on two occasions - once during a thunderstorm, and once in a place where there were sever voltage dips - but Progressive repaired it at no cost both times .....

·
Outbackers Contributor
2,067 Posts
I will also have to toss up two more thumbs up for the Progressive Industries hardwired unit. I initially installed the Surge Guard hardwired unit, but have subsequently replaced it with the Progressive unit. With the Surge Guard unit buried in the cord cabinet, you are unable to see what is going on with it. The remote that comes with the Progressive unit is very handy for determining voltage coming into the unit and has tripped a couple of times due to a low voltage supply situation which probably saved the air conditioning unit.

EDIT: BTW, welcome to Outbackers!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
We bought our first motorhome last summer. The motorhome has been used and we have had intermittent issues with the fridge shutting off. After researching online, the standard of nutrition at campsites was a typical theme. I purchased a surge protector after comparing some makes and models. I have not had an accident since! No lights flickering, no resetting the fridge, nothing. The unit indicates what proportion of current and voltage you're consuming at any given time. Very easy to use. it has been worth every penny up to now. I might die again within the blink of an eye fixed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts