Outbacker RV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Outbackers Contributor
123 Posts
Hi everyone, Just wanted to let everyone know how I made out towing our first few times out. On open highway driving (friction sway set relatively stiff) with wind or passing trucks the initial sway was pronounced than after a few seconds it would slow than stop. When uneven pavement or poor road surfaces were encountered... same thing. Even though most dealers recommend friction sway on smaller trailers and 21 and 23's I don't know if this is the best sway system available. For another 100.00 I could have purchased a system that prevents sway from the start. I am considering purchasing Reese's Dual Cam High Performance Sway Control. I've heard nothing negative reguarding this system. I do realize that many use friction sway and are satisfied. I believe I will have more confidence in my overall package once installed. Thanks for lisnin.. Brian

·
Registered
279 Posts
Brian,
I could not agree more. I'm tolerent of the friction control for now, but can't wait to purchase a Reese as well. I too have heard only good things about it. Heard lots of good things about the Equilizer set up also. About $100 less than the Reese,but I think I'm still going with the Reese. Wish I would have researched hitches as much as I researched travel trailers before I bought our 21RS.
Happy travels and 'let's be careful out there'.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Brian said:
For another 100.00 I could have purchased a system that prevents sway from the start.
One word of caution. Most would argue that the Reese and Equalizer do not eliminate sway but only control it once it starts. The Hensley and Pull-Rite hithes will, I am told, eliminate it altogether.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You can add the standard Dual Cam sway control to your existing weight distribution hitch for about $130.

I have an EAZ-Lift weight distribution hitch that initially came with a friction sway control. I also was not happy with the sway control, so I retrofitted my bars with the add-on dual cam. EAZ-Lift bars require a little grinding and drilling, but it can be easily done. I have been very happy since.

·
Outbackers Contributor
3,580 Posts
Hi Brian,

Glad you had a good trip. Sway can be very scary, been there.

Couple of things, what type of tires do you have on your 4 runner and were they aired to max pressure? I had a little sway last year and it turns out the tires I were running had soft sidewalls and would wiggle around even at their full rated pressure. I've since switched to LT tires and it handles much better. It's hard to check without weighing your setup, but not having enough tongue weight can cause trouble too. I try to really load up the front end with tools, firewood, bikes etc. to get my tongue weight up. That rear slide is heavy, and if you travel with water in the tanks, you may be lowering the tongue weight enough to cause sway problems.

Sway can be caused by more than just the hitch system, trailer loading, tongue weight, tires, tire pressure, distance from the center of the rear axle to the hitch ball, etc. all have an impact on how stable your setup will be.

I tow the same trailer and am pretty satisfied with the friction control, I don't know if the dual cam will work as effectively as it could because the tongue weight of the 21RS is just over the recommended 400# minimum tongue weight for the dual cam. If you do decide to switch hitch systems, I'd give a hard look at the equal-i-zer too.

Mike

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,452 Posts
One word of caution. Most would argue that the Reese and Equalizer do not eliminate sway but only control it once it starts. The Hensley and Pull-Rite hithes will, I am told, eliminate it altogether.
That is what the manufacture's claim. I'm not sure about Pullrite, but Hensley backs that up with a lifetime warranty for the original owner of the hitch. It does add about 65-70 lbs to your tongue wgt.

I did a great deal of research on hitches, even before we decided to buy the trailer. If I had the $2800, I would probably have gone with the Hensley, and it is not out of the question in the future. For more info look at Hensley Arrow. The Pullrite actually moves the pivot point in the hitch from aft of the bumper, to just aft of the TV rear axle. This makes the TT perform more like a fifth wheel, for about $1700.Pullrite.

I agree with Mike about the tires too.

The difference with Mike not having sway, and you having a little could be the wheel base of the tow vehicle, as well as loading in the TT. Make sure when you pack it that everything secured so it doesn't shift enroute, causing a radical change in the overall center of gravity. Heavier items should be packed forward of the trailer axles.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Greetings:

I agree with all of the comments. It is really scary to be travelling with an unstable unit.

However, the most important thing with sway control is the length of the tow vehicle (or more properly, the length of the wheelbase) versus the length of the trailer. I would think that your set-up is close to the max for the trailer length.

I am probably over the limit with my rig, but I have learned to slow down a bit and to pay attention to the driving conditions. I did the calculations and found out that a 5MPH reduction means only about 25-30 miles difference on a full days drive. For that I got a 15% improvement in gas mileage and a significant improvement in peace of mind.

Best regards,
Bopper

2 Adults and 2 Spoiled Rotten Cocker Spaniels
'02 Outback 23FBS
'02 Ford Explorer

·
Outbackers Contributor
123 Posts
Hey Guys, I appreciate your responses. In Reeses explaination of the HP Dual Cam Sway Control this is the way (they) describe it's purpose... "The advantage of the dual cam system is it's ability to FORESTALL SWAY". I interpreted this statement as "prevent" maybe my interpretation was inaccurate. I am in no way an authority on sway control, but do believe I will have more overall control with the Dual Cam system. I didn't know there was a minimum tongue weight requirement though and will also have to take that into consideration. I will check my pressures and set at max psi cold next time out. Also when loading I'll try to load as has been suggested. Good point that many little things could effect overall tow experience. Thanks Brian

·
Outbackers Contributor
3,580 Posts
Hey Brian,

Switching to a better sway control system will most likely help out, but it may not be the magic bullet that will solve the problem. I think taking a look at the overall setup would be a good idea. Sway can be a very tricky thing, there can be several factors involved and checking each one will help get to the root of the problem.

I hope I'm not coming across as being difficult, just want to try and help out.

Mike

·
Outbackers Contributor
123 Posts
Thanks All, I appreciate your information, it has been very helpful. Mike no problems here, you and many others have been very helpful over the last few months. Thanks! I'll keep you posted on my progress.. Brian

Thanks also to DC

1 - 10 of 10 Posts