Outbacker RV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Outbackers Contributor
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little help folks, if you don't mind. The rear end of my 28RS-S wants to move around a lot more that I am really comfortable with. My TV is an Excursion with a HD tow pkg, the hitch is a WD eaz-lift with a single Reese Sway control. The hitch is set up to the proper height and both the trailer and TV sit level. I have got the sway control tight but I am still getting that sway from the big trucks. I am thinking that the weight of the slide out bed in the rear is a contributing factor, but even after loading the front sstorage compartment. I am still getting, what I think is a little to much sway. Any thoughts, ideas, product recommendations would be appreciated.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Hello Campingtom,

I have the 28rss and would not consider pulling with just the friction sway control. Most here in the forum, myself included, would advise that you use either the Reese HP Daul Cam setup or the Equalizer Hitch. Both get good reviews here. There are a couple other options, the Pull Rite and the Hensley that make towing a TT as if it were a 5er but those options are very very expensive.

I use the Reese HP Daul Cam setup and am very comfortable towing. I still get sucked in a bit when the big semi's pass, and that is only for a second or two, but I have no trouble with the TT swaying or moving around. I would invest a bit more in sway control if I were you.

Good Luck.

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,740 Posts
For comparison:

I'm pulling a 25RSS with a Chevy Tahoe. (Equal-i-zer hitch)
I get NO SWAY at all...even with passing trucks. You can feel the big rigs passing you, (air currents) but there is no sway in my system. (and I have shorter wheel base)

·
Outbackers Contributor
1,207 Posts
I had the friction system on mine and dumped it just for the reasons you listed. The dual cam set-up is much better and you will be alot happier towing. Will the dual cam fit on your WD set-up? Kirk

·
Outbackers Contributor
3,580 Posts
Would also recommend the dual cam or equalizer.

With that tv you've got, you should be towing solid as a rock.

You might not have enough tongue weight.

Are you running the tires of your X at full pressure? Squishy tires can contribute to sway.

Mike

·
Outbackers Contributor
1,207 Posts
Good point mike, Tom do you have the P-rated tires on your SUV?

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,452 Posts
I have an old Husky friction sway bar sitting in the garage, and it is printed right on the box not to use a single frition bar on trailers over 24'. It is MHO that the sway control, or lack of a sufficient sway control is the root of your problem. The tires on the TV can, as mentioned above also be a factor.

The Dual Cam HP may be your best value, if it will work with your current WD setup. If not, the Equalizer will run you about $400, and incorporates WD with sway control. The Pull Rite, which mounts to the vehicle, just aft of the rear axle will run about $1700, and the Hensley Arrow will run upwards of $2800. Both of the high priced units also provide WD with Sway control.

I did quite a bit of research over the years, and after towing with both a friction bar, and the Reese Dual Cam HP, I am not disappointed. When the Reese doen't do it for me anymore, I most likely purchase a Hensley Arrow.

Tim

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have a 28BHS and tow it with an Excursion like you. I have the Equalizer with no additional sway control. Mine pulls great with no sway at all, even when trucks pass.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I would buy the dual cam sway control.. But if you want to spend the extra money on a new hitch setup you could also buy the equalizer.. Both products would give the better sway control that you’re looking for.. I have a husky hitch that also came with the pad type sway control.. And just like you I felt the sway when the big trucks would go by. I then looked into both products (equalizer, dual cam) I purchased the dual cam because I could add it to my existing hitch. I then took the new setup out on a trip and nothing no sway what so ever until I got into some high winds but the sway was different… more like a bump or a push.. Just keep in mind all the products listed will have their limits.. Good luck

Pete action

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
For about $399 you can have an Equalizer hitch shipped from RV Wholesalers which is a very good price for a great hitch. I've used a friction sway bar with my PopUp, but wouldn't advise its use for your 28' camper at all, that's to much trailer for a single or even a double friction sway bar.

·
Outbackers Contributor
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone, we just got back from a short weekend trip, the towing was ok but could have been a little better. I appreciate the feedback and will be looking into a different hitch set up. As a part of my pre-towing routine I always check all of the lugs on both the trailer and the TV and I fill the tires to the max cold PSI. The tires on the TV are Firestone Steeltex, not the recalled ones, that are load range D. I have not weighed the trailer yet, but I did add some weight in the front strorage compartment, which seemed to improve the sway somewhat. However, I am still thinking that a new hitch is in my future.

Thanks,

Tom

P.S. overall we had a great trip and the new outback performed flawlessly.

·
Outbackers Contributor
3,580 Posts
Glad you had a good trip.

Sounds like the tires are not an issue but low tongue weight may have been a contributing factor. Adding more tongue weight and a better hitch should do the trick.

Mike

1 - 12 of 12 Posts