Outbacker RV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone uses synthetic oils in their tow vehicles, and how you like them. Anyone care to elaborate on your use of them? Are they all that?

·
Outbackers Contributor
505 Posts
Using synthetic in front and rear diffs. Seems like the place to use them, NOT using in engine or trans.

Outbackgeorgia

·
Outbackers Contributor
3,580 Posts
Installed a larger trans cooler and am using amsoil in the trans. Runs cooler than before I switched. I think 2000 and later gm's have synthetic in the diffs.

Mike

·
Registered
258 Posts
My entire truck -- engine, tranny, tcase and diffs -- is running Mobil 1. Heck, even the grease I use is Mobil 1 synthetic. Does that tell you how I feel about the subject?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Mobil 1 used since 1983 in all lubrication applications. Engine Oil, Grease, Gear Oil, & ATF - PSF. I let the truck tell me when it needs the engine oil changed. My crankcase holds 6.65 liters of oil. I also have used AC Delco filters and Mobil 1 filters.

I wouldn't use any other type of lube if it wasn't labeled 100% full synthetic.

Motor oils in general are changed to frequently as it is. But to each there own as they say.

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I talked to my dealer about running Synthetics in my TAHOE. They basically told me...NOT NECESSARY. I changed all the fluids with regular oils for it's 30,000 mile maintenance. (diff's, transaxle, engine)

Still undecided for now.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Amsoil all around for me. Most important for the transmission cooling. I have used it for 25 years and i don't know how many miles, alot. I just like the extra 20-30 degrees drop in the trans temp.

·
Outbackers Contributor
505 Posts
DC recommends synthetic in the diffs when towing, so I use there, but not in the trans or engine. Might try soon.

Dave
Outbackgeorgia

1 - 8 of 8 Posts