Outbacker RV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to thank all the contributors to the towing forum. We just bought a new Outback 21RS, which should be within our towing capacity. (2003 Dodge Dakota QC 4x4)

When we visited the dealer lots, they could tell we wanted a "bigger" trailer, and were showing us 26 and even 29 footers, with GVWRs of over 7000 lbs. Dry weights in the high 4000 to low 5000 lb range.

This would have been a disaster with our Dakota.

Fortunately we found your forum (found it through RV.net, which also helped) and we got smart really quickly and reduced our size expectations. At first this was disappointing because none of the really small lightweight trailers we saw had bunk beds. Or if they did, the quality was so horrible that we got depressed. (Surveyor - yuck!!)

Then we found Outback. sunny And, I hope, live happily ever after (we pick it up on Thursday May 8).

Thanks for all who took the time to warn and educate other buyers. It was invaluable information for us.

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,740 Posts
Congrats, and welcome to OUTBACKERS!

Dealers will tell you anything to get your money. Some true...some not true. You sound like you did your homework, and we are glad we could help.

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
Just curious what about the Surveyors you didn't like? I haven't seen one in person as there were no dealers around here, but I'm just curious what turned you off on it? I know when we were looking at the Tent Hybrids when we bought our Kiwi we looked at a Roo, made by Forest River who also makes the Surveyor and we felt it was very cheaply made compared to the Kiwi. Lots of fit and finish issues, cheap fixtures, etc.

Outbacks aren't perfect, hopefully you won't have any issues!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Y-Guy,

The Surveyor we looked at was identical to the Outback model 26RS, but it was incredibly cheap. We hadn't even looked at Outbacks yet, so I didn't know this -- all I knew was that I was put off by all the corners they cut (cabinets were slightly stronger than cardboard, drawers were just plastic bins that rested in rough cut holes, the finish work was visibly shabby, I could go on...). The salesman said that "Outbacks were their chief competitor." Based on that statement, we ALMOST didn't look at Outbacks. That would have been a mistake! The difference in quality is HUGE. We were instantly smitten when we stepped in our first Outback.

Having said that, I must then say that Outback is not on par with Jayco. But the Outback floor plans are much better (for us, anyway) and actually some of the features in Outbacks (bathroom setup in particular, also the extra convenience hardware like hooks and trashcans) were better than Jayco. Mostly for us, though, Jayco was more weight/length than we could tow. We wanted bunks AND a Queen, and Jayco doesn't have that until you get to 26' or 27'. Too long for our Dakota.

We believe we'll be satisfied with our Outback. We're going in knowing its not top of the line, but its not at the bottom, either. Its a good product, and we're looking forward to becoming camping groupies.

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
Sounds like you had the same rational we did, it fit our needs and was affordable. Having owned a Jayco Kiwi I would keep them on my list to buy again, good camper but it wasn't the lightest on the market but can't say I ever had a problem with it either.

Your floorplan comment is right on, the folks at Keystone just seem to have some of the best floorplans I saw when I looked at the Outbacks and even the other lines.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts