Outbacker RV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After the first trip out there are some things I will be changing before our upcoming weeklong trip.

1) The mini-blinds on the rear slide out have to go. I still can't figure out why they didn't put the hold down clamps on the rear blinds, but that doesn't matter much they are a major PITA. I'll probably just put a room darkening pull down shade in its place.

2) I want to add a 12v outlet near the rear light and one in the front bunkhouse. I really wanted to have one of my small bunk end fans to push some of the warmer air back to the rear of the bed, and knowing the kids LCD DVD player needs a place to plug in it only makes sense. I still can't understand why Keystone didn't put a 12v in up front by the cable TV hook up.

3) I think I'll rotate the two front stabilizer jacks to face outward rather than forward. When the kids moved around I could feel a slight movement in the camper that I think would be solved by this mod. I'm also going to either make or buy a set of wheel chocks to firm up the wheels and help to prevent movement as well.

4) I'm going to Velcro the side of the shower curtain to the wall by the sink, and add Velcro to the open wall as well. We had some water on the floor after 3 adults showered, of course nobody admits to not having the shower curtain up against the wall. I may also add those corner pieces to help keep the water in as well.

5) Need to find a good carpet runner for the length of the camper. Hearing two dogs toe nails clicking on the floor at 6AM drove me crazy. The only problem are the heater vents. I suppose I need to either use throw mats or cut holes in the carpet runners for the vents. I noticed a lot of dirt was down in the vents anyway. I may try to paint them so that bright aluminum doesn't show the dirt so much, but the heat the comes out of the first two vents is so hot that I'll probably need to use BBQ paint.

·
Outbackers Contributor
3,580 Posts
I put in regular pull down shades in the rear slide last season, much better.

I removed the rear stabilizers because my driveway is steep at the bottom and I needed the clearance. I bought stacking aluminum jacks at walmart and they are much more stable than those crank down deals.

Velcro on the shower curtain is a good idea.

Seems I'm a lot like you, always looking to improve things. Although sometimes my "improvements" are questionable.

How was the trip?

Mike

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
camping479 said:
How was the trip?
You know it was funny, I spent most of my Saturday back at home getting our Kiwi sold, but other than that it was great fun. We had a roaring fire Saturday night and our Slovakian exchange student never had S'mores before. We changed that! It was a fun quick trip, made for a nice shake down before our week long Spring Break trip in a couple of weeks.

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,452 Posts
Glad to hear everything went well. I made some notes of your thoughts, and will keep them in mind when we finally get ours, and take it out on it's maiden voyage. How'd the Avalanche do towing? What kinda mileage are you getting with the 4.10 gears?

Tim

·
Outbackers Contributor
157 Posts
I could not agree more about those blinds...what were they thinking??? Nothing like waking up at 3:00 with your toes tied up in that noisy blind!!

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tim I didn't track mileage this trip. Probably just as well too. The truck said I was getting between 11-7. I had a small problem, human error. I knew the Corps. GCs were privative camping, but I 'assumed' they would have water nearby... NOT. I had to drive the full 40 miles back home, fill up and drive back with 45 gallons of water :
: Nothing like doing that to start the trip off on the wrong foot. Then I made another assumption (you would think I would have learned) I assumed they would have the sewer open... NOT. So now I got to drag 45 gallons home in the black/gray water tanks. Of course the one Flying J station near my doesn't have a dump. I have a clean out at the front of the house so I rigged up 2 3" pipes and some 90 degree elbows and did it myself.

I'll be tracking the mileage on our week long trip the first of April though. I will say though the Truck and Camper towed great overall. I may raise the equalizer bar one notch though since I'll be going at Freeway speeds then on a winding coastal road.

TR - you know it wasn't the ones at my toes it was the one on my side, ever time I'd roll over WHAM the metal bar would hit the side of the trailer and wake me up even more. But I agree, I'd like to know what they were thinking. I do hope they read this forum at some point and hear what we think of some of their "ideas"!

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,740 Posts
I love velcro too. I just can never get the adhesive kind to stay put!
Especially on that dining cushion by the slide out! It just peels right off.

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LOL my wife asked me to do something about that cushion too! I figured about 2' of industrial Velcro should do the trick
The adhesive doesn't seem to want to stick to the woodwork, of course I haven't taken any Duct Tape to it yet either!

·
Outbackers Contributor
157 Posts
I didn't have that problem with the side blinds. I am 6'4" tall so I don't fit so well in that pull out. In fact, that is now the kids room. Me and mom have the front half of the trailer to ourselves now. Its a much better deal.!!

We have our own heat vetn, AC vent, roof vent, windows, closet, TV outlet and we use the overhead bunk just for junk...sort of like the living room floor at home!

Y-Guy, how did that Niagra work out for you...we were on the brink of buying one of those when we went with the Outback (wife wanted no part of that wrap around touilet curtain thing...)

Steve

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Steve we really enjoyed the Niagara at the time. It had everything we wanted except enough storage space. If the manufactures would use a pass through fridge and pass through storage so you could put stuff in and take it out without needing to pop up and down we might have stayed with it. I loved the huge beds, nothing beats a big King size bed when you have kids and dogs. The Kiwi we had previously, and after our Niagara had the smaller beds but at least we could pack the trailer easier. I'm done changing campers, the Outback is it (and my wife makes sure I know it too).

I added Velcro to the Niagara shower curtain so it was okay, but I much prefer having a dry bathroom and having more than a couple of gallons in the black water tank.

One of these days a manufacture is going to build a 20' popup, with big water, black and grey water tanks, storage and all the other goodies. But it will have a low profile and I think it will sell well for those that don't want the wind drag and those that want an open air feeling.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I hate them blinds on the rear bead also, I think I will take you advise and replace them with something alittle less noisey. As for the floor vents I took mine out and cut a pice of screen a little bigger then the hole and place the screen over the hole and when you push the vent back in place it holds the screen tight under the vent it stopps the bigger pices of dirt from falling down in the vent. and in the kids room up front I don't know how many small toys and game pices I have pick out of the vent that was saved by the screen. I also turned my front jacks to the side it did make a difference, but on mine I had to move the gas line alittle towards the back to clear the jack on the left side. I also got the wheel chucks the tighten between the two wheel and they seem to work pretty good. I hope you like your Outback as much as our family does, in fact the wife was online today reserving some spots for the summer !! I can't wait !!

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mike I like the screen idea, thanks for the tip! Lowes here I come! Great advice all around!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts