Outbacker RV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have decided to trade in the pop and and get a Outback 23RS, hopefully it will be in by mid april. We are looking for any tips on towing, backing up with the TT, tips on how to take corners or backing into the campsites.. We have been told it is easier to back up the TT than the pop up.

Thanks!!

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
I'm not sure its really easier, but with the longer wheelbase it does make the camper less prone to jackknifing. The best advice I was given when I started towing a trailer was to practice backing up in a parking lot until you felt comfortable. Backing the trailer with a left turn is usually easier since you can see that side of the trailer when backing up. As for getting used to turns, well a good set of extension mirrors and your regular mirrors should be set to allow you to see the rear of the trailer and the trailer wheels. When in doubt take the turn wide, right turns are the hardest usually. With a 23' trailer you shouldn't have to much to worry about, but it does take time getting used to the feeling and length of the trailer. If you are unsure, go slow and have a spotter check.

You'll find a lot of tips on the internet for where to place your hand when backing up, etc., they are good to read, but in the end they are just tips. Let yourself learn through practice.

·
Outbackers Contributor
90 Posts
The main things that helped us were good extension mirrors, walkie-talkies, and daylight. It's amazing how much more difficult it is to back up in the dark!
Take your time, and good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts