Outbacker RV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Outbackers Contributor
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys i'm stuck, I don't know what to use on fiberglass siding? I used to use lemon pledge on my alum. sided motorhome, works good by the way, takes off all oxidation and black streaks and smells good too. Should I give it a try or use something else?

·
Outbackers Contributor
3,580 Posts
I use turtle wax which has wash and wax in the same bottle. I'm pretty lazy. Works good on the trailer and the thetford black streak remover works well on the black streaks.

Mike

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,452 Posts
Has anyone tried marine wax. Most recreational boats today are made of fiberglass, with a Gel-coat finish on top. Is there any reason why a good marine wax made for fiberglass hulls won't work?

Tim

·
Outbackers Contributor
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Vern whats pertect all and where do you buy it at? I is it like armor all in a little spray bottle? I like the idea of a marine wax and may have to go that route, I can feel my arm and back already. Really would like something that requires less wax on/ wax off rubbing. Like I said I may have no choose as it gets to be 120+ in the shade during mid summer and I don't have a cover for the TT.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Like Mike, I use the turtle wax that has the wash and wax in the same bottle. It kept the TT looking real good all last summer.

I know there are a bunch of folks over on rv.net that use a marine wax and they say it works real well.

I had planned on doing the wax on/wax off thing this spring. I would like to get one good coat of wax on each year. I will watch this thread.

·
Outbackers Contributor
2,018 Posts
According to Keystone:

Q - What should I use to clean the fiberglass/metal siding of my RV?

A - Use automotive/Marine grade "Non-abrasive" cleaners & waxes with a soft cloth. Avoid products with ammonia, caustic harsh cleaners and rubbing compounds. Avoid high-pressure washers, rotating brushes, etc. around graphics or painted areas. Do not “dry wipe” surfaces.

Randy

·
Outbackers Contributor
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank for the info. When I was at Kampers Korner today picking up a RV 115 volt outlet to install for a CO detector I bought some stuff called Gel-Coat cleaner. If you need to install a 115V outlet for a CO detector the existing one that is on the bathroom wall facing the slider at floor level is feed from overhead and can be easily spliced into for the new one at ceiling level. Anyway I will be doing the waxon/wax off thing because the direction say to let dry and polish. I will let you all know how it goes. Kirk

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,452 Posts
Haven't had the Outback long enough to even wash it, let alone wax it, but I plan to use the same thing I use on the Avalanche, 3M's Marine grade wax. I figure if it works on the gel coat of boats, and the Chevy, it will do OK on the Outback.

Tim

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,740 Posts
And if you ever drive into the water, like that million dollar motorhome on TV, your paint on the whole set up will be protected!

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,452 Posts
I think if I ever drive the Avalanche and Outback into the water, like that million dollar class A, the condition of the paint will be the least of my problems....

Tim

·
Outbackers Contributor
3,915 Posts
I'll be going to the RV.net rally weekend after next so another complete detail for Burb and Outback is in order. They'll have to wear sunglasses when I roll in

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,452 Posts
Are you bringing your boxing gloves.

OOPS!
Did I type that out loud.

Have a good time.

Tim

·
Outbackers Contributor
3,915 Posts
You're funny
So far my experience with the .net gang has been really good and no problems. Actually quite the opposite, as they have been very helpfull and a good bunch to know.

The S. California crowd is especially gregarious and looks to be alot of fun. We are looking forward to meeting the new friends we have made there. Read any portion of the thread in the Rallys section and you'll see the goofy talk going on.

Try it you might like it

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,452 Posts
I found it in the boating section at Walmart. It is a little more expensive than the Meguires car wax. Name on the label is "3M Marine Fiberglass Wax" and "3M Marine Fiberglass Cleaner and Wax"

One of the guys I work with has been using it on his 2002 GMC crew cab as well as his 26' ProLine fishing boat, and both look showroom fresh, so I thought I would give it a try. They have both a cleaner/wax, and a straight wax. Label says it is good for all fiberglass/gelcoat and marine topside paints.

I haven't tried it on the Outback yet, but it does a nice job on the Chevy. Goes on and off real easy, and you can use it with an orbital polisher if you want.

Tim

1 - 20 of 29 Posts