Outbacker RV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the things I need to do when the OB comes home is install towel bars and TP holders and such. How did you all do it? I really hate making holes in walls especially if they don't hold. There is not much there but the wall board, seems it would be difficult to get something to stay.

·
Outbackers Contributer
1,806 Posts
I was once faced with the same dilema.
I put the TP on the shelf beside the sink and threw away the holder that Keystone provided.
I hung my towel on the hook on the back of the bathroom door and threw away the towel bar Keystone provided.
No holes in the walls.
Problem solved!!

Seriously, be sure that you even really need them before you make some holes that are difficult to patch.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I am going to add some tomorrow. I plan on trying the metal wall anchors that fan out on
the inside of the wall. I am also going to hang a 4 hook coat rack by the entry door as well.

Not sure at this time but i think the walls are thick enough to use the achors I have.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
This is a standard, off-the-shelf, towel ring from Home Depot. We mounted it with the hardware that it came with. The medicine cabinet door will just clear it, so that is a measurement that needs to be considered before buying one.

·
Outbackers Contributor
9,089 Posts
with the TP I changed the door from bottom hinge to side hinge so it open like normal and mounted the TP holder on the inside of the door

As for towel bar we purchased a towel rack and hange it on the door

Don

·
Outbackers Contributor
1,198 Posts
We attached more of those two-pronged coat hooks to the wall and simply followed Keystone's lead and used short screws. Hasn't fallen out of the wall yet.

When we attached a towel rack like Scrib did we measured the length of the fixture and screws carefully to make sure they wouldn't poke through into the closet. Then we measured again to make sure.

Ed

·
Outbackers Contributor
845 Posts
They aren't pretty but they do hold fine. I installed the towel bar over the toilet and installed the TP holder inside the shelf under the wardrobe cabinet in our bathroom.

Wayne

·
Registered
823 Posts
I installed a one of the decorative command adhesive hooks on the side of the linen closet for a hand towel. We just put the TP on the shelf next to the toilet too. As for bath towels we use a tension shower rod just inside the shower curtain. Hubby is 6 foot and hasn't had an issue with it. The first to shower must be willing to move all the towels. We just transfer 'em to the hook on the door as they are dry and going to get used soon any way. Last to shower hangs 'em all back up. I shorten the same shower rod and us it as a brace when we are towing to keep things from coming off the shelves we added to the short wardrob by the pantry.

We also have a similar tension rod that runs from the wall beside the pantry to the bathroom wall this holds a tab top curtain that I cut down and added a tie back too. We pull this when changing and showering and lock the front door to the TT it gives you more movement and changing room. Not to mention how much the kids enjoy "their room" when it is pulled. We used heavy duty velcro to fasten the tie back to the wall so the curtain is not in the way during non use.

My suggestion would be use it a few times before you screw anything into the walls. Take everyone's ideas and think about where you reach for things when you do use it that way you'll get things where you want 'em and like 'em the first time . We waited 3 or 4 trips. I guess the towels and such were an inconvient mess on those trips but we came up with solutions that work well for us. I am sure you will too.

Good Luck and Have fun making the Outback yours!!!!!

Mrs Happycamper

·
Outbackers Contributor
617 Posts
We used the "two prong" coat hooks similiar to the ones already installed. We added 2 to the wall behind the toilet. One high and one low. We also put one on each side of the slide out. This works well for towels or a jacket.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I put the TP on the shelf beside the sink and threw away the holder that Keystone provided.
I hung my towel on the hook on the back of the bathroom door and threw away the towel bar Keystone provided.
No holes in the walls.
Problem solved!!

Seriously, be sure that you even really need them before you make some holes that are difficult to patch.
Ditto on what Katrina did.

Rayman

·
Outbackers Contributor
6,025 Posts
Toilet paper goes on one of the shelves next to the toilet.

Towels go over the stand up glass shower stall. I also bought an over the door towel rack that I put over the glass shower door to hold a few towels, too.

Mark

·
Outbackers Contributor
7,151 Posts
Same as Katrina

Also bought and after market hook for the door.

Thor

·
Outbackers Contributor
770 Posts
with the TP I changed the door from bottom hinge to side hinge so it open like normal and mounted the TP holder on the inside of the door
Very creative!
Next comes the toilet paper mod!

·
Outbackers Contributor
3,007 Posts
I was in that "big blue store" and found some towel holders that hook over the top of the walk-in shower. They're white with blue trim, and in with the suction toothbrush holders, soap dishes, etc. They work PERFECT!
I just hook them over the top of the shower and hang the towels!

Darlene

·
Registered
178 Posts
One of the things I need to do when the OB comes home is install towel bars and TP holders and such. How did you all do it? I really hate making holes in walls especially if they don't hold. There is not much there but the wall board, seems it would be difficult to get something to stay.
My plan, when the weather cooperates, is to use one of the new metal 3M Command Adhesive hooks--large size-- and put it on the side of the linen closet...it should hold a hand towel nicely. I think the brushed nickel hook will go nicely with the faucets & door handles in the bathroom. We have an over the door towel rack to hang our bath towels on, and I saw on here somewhere that someone used a freestanding toilet paper holder. I like that idea a lot, since I don't like the idea of making holes in the walls, either. If that doesn't work we'll probably just put the tp on the shelf right beside the toilet.

On the 3M website I see they also have shower accessories with water-resistant strips. There's a soap dish, razor/toothbrush holder and even shower caddies to hold shampoo bottles etc. I must be bored...I was so excited to see those! Now I just have to go shopping!!

·
Outbackers Contributor
2,472 Posts
Ooh Water resistant 3M strips. Gotta have them.

·
Registered
197 Posts
No holes in the walls.
Problem solved!!

Ditto

·
Registered
184 Posts
I installed a one of the decorative command adhesive hooks on the side of the linen closet for a hand towel. We just put the TP on the shelf next to the toilet too. As for bath towels we use a tension shower rod just inside the shower curtain. Hubby is 6 foot and hasn't had an issue with it. The first to shower must be willing to move all the towels. We just transfer 'em to the hook on the door as they are dry and going to get used soon any way. Last to shower hangs 'em all back up. I shorten the same shower rod and us it as a brace when we are towing to keep things from coming off the shelves we added to the short wardrob by the pantry.

We also have a similar tension rod that runs from the wall beside the pantry to the bathroom wall this holds a tab top curtain that I cut down and added a tie back too. We pull this when changing and showering and lock the front door to the TT it gives you more movement and changing room. Not to mention how much the kids enjoy "their room" when it is pulled. We used heavy duty velcro to fasten the tie back to the wall so the curtain is not in the way during non use.

My suggestion would be use it a few times before you screw anything into the walls. Take everyone's ideas and think about where you reach for things when you do use it that way you'll get things where you want 'em and like 'em the first time . We waited 3 or 4 trips. I guess the towels and such were an inconvient mess on those trips but we came up with solutions that work well for us. I am sure you will too.

Good Luck and Have fun making the Outback yours!!!!!

Mrs Happycamper
Another good use for that tension rod: when showering, put the rod about waist or shoulder high just inside curtain to keep the shower curtain from "sucking" to your body. Someone told me about this when we had our cub and we were looking for a rod for the towels. Works like a charm!

·
Registered
249 Posts
We have an OB fiver. We put a towel bar in the toilet room (as you sit there, you're looking at it) and a TP roll holder to the right. We just used regular old Home Depot brushed nickel. Both walls are solid and hold them well.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts