Outbacker RV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Outbackers Contributor
3,580 Posts
What kind of mileage are you getting and at what speed do you tow? Is your dry weight of the trailer out of the brochure and is the 6200# for your truck actual or the gross vehicle weight? There should be a tag inside one of the cabinet doors which gives the actual weight of the trailer when it left the factory (without battery, lp,dealer installed accessories, etc.).
Our trailer is 4380# dry (according to the sticker) With all of our gear and a little water we are at about 4900-5000# ready to go. Our truck weighs 4800 empty with a tank of gas and weighs just over 6000 hooked up and loaded for a gcw of just over 10000. This is well within our truck's weight limits, we know it's back there and aren't going to win any races though. We tow in 3rd and get 10 mpg. I would suspect you are within your limits too because our tow vehicles have very similar gvw and gcw, ours is 6500 gvw and 12000 gcw. You might want to get actual weights to see how close you are to your limits. That's what I wound up doing.

If your within weight limits, and it tows okay, you're all set. Towing performance is a subjective thing, what I would consider to be good performance, you may think is terrible. I myself am not going out to by a k2500 suburban with an 8.1 vortec just because I slow down a little on hills, but someone else may feel it's a necessity. I'm gonna keep that cash in my pocket and tow slow on the hills.

·
Outbackers Contributor
3,580 Posts
I also use a friction sway control on our 21rs. I get pushed sometimes by big trucks passing, but the whole rig moves a little and there is no sway. If I stay to the right in my lane, there usually is no push at all.

·
Outbackers Contributor
3,580 Posts
Thanks for your service to your country. Those twins....... I'm not sure if I need congratulations or condolences some days
.....just kidding, they're a real blessing.

The connection on the hitch is for a 1 inch ball for a friction sway control. I have a reese brand which comes with a plate with a ball on it that gets bolted to the trailer a-frame. I think it comes with the ball for the hitch too. All the brands work pretty much the same. They come with pretty specific installation instructions. If your into ebay, I've seen them for a lot less than retail, around 50 bucks or so, they're around 80 or 90 retail. Definitely cheap insurance and will do the job for a short trailer like yours.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.