Outbacker RV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
I've been trying to figure out what to do about mirrors for my 2003 Trailblazer. I haven't seen many options that look that great. I do not want something that will leave marks on my truck or take a long time to put on and take off. I've looked at the CIPA Universal tow mirrors but some folks elsewhere have had mixed feelings about these.

What have you all had experience with and recommend?

Cheers,

Michael

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,452 Posts
I'm going to watch this one, as I am still looking for a mirror that suits me also. I have used McKesh mirrors in the past. They provide excellent visibility, but are a bit of a hassle to get set right, and I did notice some marring of the paint surface after I used them. My dealer is trying to get me to get the CIPA's, since he of course sells them. He want about $65 for a set. I may just find out if he will offer a satifaction guarantee, and if so, I'll have nothing to lose. The 65 mile drive from the dealer to the house should be enough for me to judge whether I like them or not.

I have heard that these type of mirrors, (CIPA's and similar products) tend to vibrate too much. That is why I want the satisfaction clause.

Tim

·
Outbackers Contributor
1,207 Posts
I installed cipa mirrors on my tahoe. They pull out and are electriclly operated and don't vibrate like the strap on type. The draw back is that they are huge and take away from the looks of the tahoe. There is a company that I heard of called power vision which makes the power mirrors for chevy, they look stock and are electrically extendable. This is all I know about them. If I had to do it again I would most likely go with power vision. does anyone know any more about these mirrors? kirk

·
Registered
630 Posts
Well I have to jump in on this one. I went through the same issue you are going throught last summer. I tried the strap on mirrors first and they just did not fit on the mirror very well and I alomost lost one one time. They also had to much vibration for me. I then tried the slip-ons and they looked real nice but they too had to much vibration for my liking. I then tried the McKesh mirrors and they worked best for me.

I will agree that it did take me while to get them adjusted the first time, but now that they are adjusted it takes 2 minutes to get them on. I can see down both sides of the TT and I added the smaller convex mirrors that allow me watch the TT tires and the lower front part of the TT. I have not had any issues with the mirrors marring or scratching the paint. The ones I got last summer have nice padding everywhere they touch the paint. I will also agree that they do not look the best, but I would rather have the visibility rather then the looks.

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,452 Posts
Perhaps the CIPA mirrors that I am talking about are different then the ones you guys are. The one's my dealer has are plastic, and fit over the existing OEM mirrors with a clamping mechenism to secure it.

As far as the powervision mirrors, I have looked at the web page. Supposedly, they were to be available as a factory installed option on all new GM full size trucks starting in 2003. They are expensive, I do know that. compared to the mirrors I referred to in my last post. I think for my truck, they were quoted at being somewhere in the $475 range. (power adjust/heated mirrors). I have not seen any in real life, only in photo's on the web page.

Tim

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
We had a 2002 TrailBlazer and at that time CIPA didn't make a slip on mirror for the TrailBlazer, if they do now I'd recommend them. I've used them on my F150 and now on my Avalanche. I considered the McKesh mirrors but at some $120 it was a tad rich for my blood. Shop around on the CIPA, I'd call every local RV store and check online too, prices vary a bit but you'll going to be look at least $50 for a pair.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is the CIPA 11960 that I've been looking at for the Trailblazer.

This is the Velvac that I've also looked at as a possibility.

All good comments thus far. Still looking for more options.

Cheers,

Michael

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
I'm a bit surprised that CIPA doesn't yet make a slip on mirror for the TrailBlazer/Envoy/Bravada tiplets. Have you emailed them for their website to see if they do and its just not on their website? CIPA Mirrors Feedback

On the CIPA 11960 I'd see if you can try before you buy, I had the cheap strap on ones one and they flat out sucked! Waste of money. Those look pretty solid I'd just test them if you can.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Hey Michael,

Those Cipa 11960's were the ones I tried and they just didn't work with my factory mirrors. The plastic around my factory mirrors was too thick and the clip kept slipping off while en-route. They also had a terrible wind noise (not sure how to describe it) at highway speeds. On the first trip I thought my engine was going to blow.

However, I do know someone who uses them and they work fine for him. I would try that option first and then take them back and upgrade if they do not work for you.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I called CIPA and was told they have nothing planned for the Trailblazer for a slide-on and was told to use the 11960 Universal model. Guess I'll pursue the fender idea some more. Was never to crazy about anything mounting or clipping to the factory side mirrors anyway.

I appreciate all the comments you all have put here.

Cheers, it's Friday!

Michael

·
Registered
54 Posts
I use the cipa universal on an envoy. The work, not well, but they work. I too would love better mirrors. Seems that CIPA and the like do not think people tow with SUVs... I will be watching this thread hoping someone finds, or knows of, good mirrors for a 2003 Envoy.

Ed

·
Registered
159 Posts
After popping the hood on my Trailblazer I also realized that fender mount tripods may not work good either as the lip edge of the fender is not smooth. The edge has a formed ripple in it that doesn't give much of a flat surface to grip upon for a tripod mount either. Rats!

Still looking...

·
Registered
159 Posts
Maybe we just buy some hand held mirrors in the health and beauty aids aisle at ShopKo and stick them out the window when it's time to change lanes...

I told my wife ...mmmmm..... nope.
But the way things are going thus far she may have the ticket!!

·
Outbackers Contributor
3,915 Posts
I am using the CIPA slip on's and they work well. No vibration or wind noise. It seems that these must work better on some mirrors than others because I have heard everything from DOG to DY-NO-MITE!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
CIPA does NOT have a slip-on option and doesn't plan on it either. According to CIPA "use the universal fit 11960" is my only choice on a Trailblazer.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I guess the going rate is around $60 each without the wide angle mirror.

Cheers!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts