Outbacker RV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Outbackers Contributor
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone installed backup lights on their Outback? I have performed a search and didn't find any previous information.

I read a article by Bobby who did some on his Wildcat but I am still confused.

I understand there is a backup light power feed in the trailer plug, the center post. I hear that you need to wire in relays and such. I am not a electronics person so I don't know exactly how a relay works. I guess you need a relay because the lights draw a lot and this prevents blowing a circuit?

If any one has done this or can enlighten me about relays and how to wire them I would appreciate it.

Thank you

Kevin

·
Outbackers Contributor
1,207 Posts
Hi Kevin, I have been thinking about this for mine just have to wait for the OK from my better half. Ok I will try to give some wiring help.

1) Decide on light and mounting location, I thought about using surface mount high intensity type, like on a 4x4 roll bar and pop riveting them to the bumper on both sides of the spare.
2) The lights should have somewhere how much amperage they draw, lets say 15 amps per set. In this case I would need 14 awg wire to be safe, for 20 amps you need 12 awg wire, for 30 amps you need 10 awg wire.
3) Go to a auto parts store and buy a relay, In our case it has to be 15 amp rated. It has to be a normally open relay with a 12 volt coil, a little bigger won't hurt on the amps. While at the parts store ask to see the ratings in the book and write down what the terminals do: term 1= 12 volt +, term 2= n/o, term 3= n/o power in, you get the idea.
4) While at the parts store buy some split loom conduit (plastic tubing for putting wire in). Some crimp on blue barrel splices and some blue crimp on 1/4" terminal ends and blue fork ends. Some nylon zip tyes about 6" long. A fuse holder (little white barrel with wires) and 15 amp fuse
5) Go buy a 50' extension cord with 14 awg wire inside, or 12 awg wire, or 10 awg wire

Ok most of the parts are togethere here's how you wire it;

1) Mount the lights and locate the 2 neg. wires and the 2 pos. wires
2) Locate the silver box at the front of the TT under the cover on the frame, it should have the pigtail from the TV coming to it, open it. Locate the wire that powers the back-up lights and VERIFY THAT YOU HAVE 12 VOLTS WHEN IN REVERSE, make a note which wire this is.
3) There should be enough room inside the box to mount the relay, drill and mount the relay then remove the relay for wiring
4) At the lights take the extension cord and cut off one end, strip back to the wires. Splice the neg. light wire to white ext. cord wire and the pos. light wire to black ext. cord wire. Going along the side that has the stove pull the extension cord and zip tye it to the propane gas line under the TT to the silver box in front. Cut the other end, strip the wires and put them into the box.
5) At this point you should go back and put on the split loom to cover any exposed extention cord and wires at the bumper only. Just for looks and to protect the wires you see, don't worry about the cord under the TT.
6) At the silver box take the new black ext. cord wire and crimp on 1/4" terminal end and connect it to the N/O terminal on the relay. Take the back-up light wire from the pigtail and crimp on a 1/4" inch terminal end and connect it to the 12 volt+ terminal on the relay.
7) Next to the silver box you will see a auto reset circuit breaker with a black wire coming into the silver box. DISCONNECT THE POS. BATTERY TERMINAL then remove the wire nut in the box and connect the new fuse to it using the old wire nut. On the other end of the fuse crimp on a 1/4" terminal end and connect it to the other N/O terminal on the relay. Take the white ext. cord wire and crimp on a blue fork end. Screw the relay into place and ground the white ext. cord wire.
8) Put cover back on box and test new lights.

Well I hope this helps get you some back-up lights. It seems like a lot to do but it will go very fast. Just take your time and note the sections that are in bold, Kirk

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
I had them installed on my Popup. I just found a heavy gauge wire under the camper and tied a set of cheap Wal-Mart lights into it and mounted onto the bumper. I then added a swtich on the side of the bumper. I didn't want to run wires all the way to the front of the camper and since I always get out first to see where I'm backing it worked fine. In thinking about it on my Outback I might install them again, but I think I would also install a set under the front of the camper aiming to the sides not just the very rear of the camper.

·
Outbackers Contributor
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kirk,

Thanks a lot, the detailed notes you have are very similar to some I found while searching more last night. I will be getting the parts and starting soon, we will see how it goes.

Y,

I also had them on my pop-up, I just tied into a power wire and put a manual switch inside the refrig compartment to manually turn them on, I used a set of $10 Wal-Mart lights that came with a switch.

I will probably be doing 4 lights, two on rear and two midway by tires. I seem to not arrive at the campground until many hours after the scheduled arrival time for some reason or another. I have helped several folks back in their rigs at night while spotting their corners with my flashlight for them.

We will see, thanks again for the help.

Lastnight installed two Maxxair vent covers, screendoor closer, flex hose on plumbing, drained sanitizing solution from fresh tank , installed tote tank on bumper, getting ready for this weekend.

Kevin

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
Kevin, Sounds like your keeping very busy with mods. Have fun camping!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts