Outbacker RV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Outbackers Contributor
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone! Normally if I need gas for my bikes, snow blower or whatever, I will throw my gas can in the back of my truck. Now that we are towing with my 4-Runner, I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion for stowing the gas can outside the vehicle (A rack on the trailer bumper, Up by the LP bottles somewhere, Inside the trailer)? Thanks! Brian

·
Outbackers Contributor
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hey Everyone,

Does anyone carry fuel with them, like for a gas generator. If so, where do you carry it?

Thanks Brian

·
Outbackers Contributor
90 Posts
I carry a plastic gas can in the back of the truck for the generator. I'd also like a better way to transport it. No matter what I do, the back of the truck smells like gas. This is a real problem when changing altitudes or with large temperature swings during the day. If I open the can during a cold morning and then travel to a higher elevation or if it gets warm, the can leaks. The back bumper of the trailer would be nice. Hope we hear some ideas.

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,740 Posts
Firefighter Pete says...

DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT STORING IT INSIDE THE TRAILER!

Way too dangerous, way too flammable. Store it outside your trailer/vehicle somewhere. You may have to install some sort of carrier or bracket in order to do this. It will be much safer, and less stinky inside your trailer this way.

Happy & Safe Camping!

·
Outbackers Contributor
123 Posts
Well, sounds like I know where not to store fuel. Thanks for the advice. My preference would be the back bumper. Fabricate a suitable bracket with a solid mount and a secure design to fasten the container. However I'm not sure if there is a law concerning carrying an open gas container on the back of a vehicle or trailer. In the unlikely event of being rearended I'm not sure that would be safe. Maybe I'm thinking too hard! Any other thoughts, ideas welcome. Thanks Brian

1 - 5 of 5 Posts