Outbacker RV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently purchased a 2016 35 foot Keystone Outback. While traveling to California we made a stop at Joshua National Park. It was there I noticed the TV antenna laying upside down on the roof. There are two bolts that hold the antenna to the bracket. One bolt fell off and the other was still there but the nut was missing. Just a matter of time before the antenna came off due this. I replaced the bolts wit 1/4 20 bolts and put locknuts on them.The screws used to hold it on to the roof were in my opinion too small. Getting it fixed was another issue. I wound up fixing it myself as there was a big hole in the roof where the antenna was mounted. Service centers wanted me to make an appointment to bring it in, several weeks down the road.

The roof is made of 3/8 inch pressboard and the screws just couldn't in it. I repaired it by getting longer and thicker screws. I also glued 3/4 inch pieces of hard maple to the inside of the roof providing a good grip for the screws.

If you have one of these campers and your antenna hasn't fallen off yet don't be surprised if it does someday.

·
Registered
1 Posts
our antenna apparently blew off while in travel on our 2016 Outback. It always rattled when the wind blew. I mentioned this to the service dept and was told it was the type of antenna that "made noise in wind". When we were on our latest camping trip, I discovered the noisy antenna was completely gone and nothing sticking out but the coaxial cable and a small wire. I ordered a new antenna but cannot figure out what the other wire is to. Neither the TV nor the stereo will pick up reception now. The stereo won't even power on. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
55 Posts
My outback's antenna came off as well and luckily I didn't loose the whole thing. I saw that it's a crappy mounting job since there is nothing solid for it to be secured to - I rotated it 90degrees in order to reduce wind drag and used a lot of lap and deck screws that had more bite. It's been holding up for the last year. Keystone should be embarrassed by the shoddy mount job!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I purchased a King antenna to replace my broken batwing. The installation is dead simple. I did not need the amplifier that came with the unit as I already had one installed. The signal did not even get any weaker when I lowered the antenna from 36" to 12".

1 - 4 of 4 Posts