Outbacker RV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, we'll were not officla outbackkers just yet. Though the Outback is in the lead and I've been reading the various posts here trying to guide our decision beetween a Frontier 2809 and the Outback 28RS-S.

We've been camping as a family for a long time, my job use to take me camping (tents) with middle school kids, but things and positions have changed so I mostly don't work directly in the programs. We owned a Coleman Niagara PopUp then bought the Jayco Kiwi 23D to move up, but have founds I get a clostraphobic feeling in the queen bunk due to the low tenting and the bathroom isn't large enough to well blow your nose in, plus the kids fight over who gets the single bunk above the wardrobe... so figure its time to start seriously looking. We also camp with two dogs, Golden Retriver Chow mutt and a Boarder Collie Mutt.

I plan to tow with a 2003 Chevy Avalanche, 4.10 rear axle, already have a 10,000# Equa-liz-er Hitch and Prodigy so the transition should be pretty smooth.

Well thats all I can think of for now. Thanks.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I am not sure if you know this, but the person the designed the frontier for KZ left that company and went to work for Outback. That is why the two models you are looking at are so similar. The rear slide on the Frontier is patented and that is why you do not see it on the Outback. That patent is a selling point for Frontier and they are quick to point that out. I did not think the rear slide on the Frontier was electric, but it may be.

Although not patented, the rear slide on the Outback works fine for us. I do not feel that I have a lesser TT because my rear slide is not patented. It only takes about two minutes to open the rear slide so it is really no big deal to me. Plus I park our bikes under there to keep them out of elements. We also like the interior much better in the Outback. When we first stepped in the Outback it was like we were not even in a TT.

We have two kids and the bunk house is a big deal to them. It's like their own room and they close the door and have a ball in there. Plus they can bring friends along and we do not have to tear down the sofa or dinette.

We were also tent campers that moved up to a pop-up. This last year with the TT was the best yet.

Anyway, I don't think you can go wrong with either one. KZ owners are very loyal to their TT's and boost of high quality.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do and I hope to see you on Outbackers.

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,740 Posts
Welcome to OUTBACKERS Y-Guy!

Make sure you climb in the bed slide before you buy. You may find it A LOT like the tent ends on your Kiwi. (only hard sided) The OUTBACK has a pretty tiny bathroom as well. I don't know why these manufacturer's can't make a decent sized bathroom! I love the OUTBACK, but just letting you know the facts.
I hope to see you here on OUTBACKERS!

See ya!

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the welcome folks. I'd done a lot of looking between the Outback and Frontier and the Outback keeps coming up to the top for several reasons. The bathroom is big enough, and with the door where its at does offer more leg room if needed. The Outback seems to have a bit more useful storage, though I do admit I like all the storage above the Couch, dinette and queen slide that the Fronteir has. I also like the 3 steps the Outback offers and that the Batteries are accessible for charging. Biggest reason though is that nobody here in the NW has a Frontier I can even look at and I won't buy sight unseen.

We did make an offer on the 28RSS this weekend at our local dealer. Price came back at $18,600 and considering shipping costs to the left coast I was comfortable. But they lowballed my trade in big time and wouldn't budge. I was nice and told him that with 5 other dealers in a decent driving distance and 3 Frontier dealers too that I could get the deal I was wanting. Since I know he was busy that day I figure I may still hear back from him sometime. If not we'll take it slow and see. I did tell him that if I sold my camper on my own I'd be offering $17,800 to make up for the loss in sales tax savings - LOL just had to get that jab in at him.

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well wish me luck. My wife and I really dug in tonight to decide what we wanted to do about the camper and to pick colors. We were looking very strongly at the Frontier until a couple of deal breakers hit us and swung us back to the Outback. The first and major issue was the lack of any usable counter top space in the Kitchen... there isn't any unless you use the sink covers and/or the stove cover, whereas the Outback has a bit of space. The other big issue for me was the placement of the batteries, on either side of the propane tanks inside the storage area. I don't want battery gases to infiltrate the interior of the camper when charging. Since I will be using dual 6v batteries and charging them with a deep cycle charger I need easy access to them, the Outback has two spaces on the tongue ideal for dual batteries. Combined with some other issues we feel the Outback fits our needs and style the best. I found an online seller that is advertising one for $16,495 too, so I'll take that in to my dealer and say forget the trade-in issue and lets work on lowering the price some. Our hope is to go camping over our Spring Break to really start of the camping season right. We also decided to skip our trip to Disney World this year and put the money toward the camper.

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,740 Posts
Good luck!
Get everything you can get, cause you only have one shot. It never hurts to ask for ANYTHING!

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I'm no longer a Wannabe! We're Outbackers!

Got the dealer to move some, but after talking with 2 other area dealers I could tell they were not going to come down off their near 19,995 and 19,700 asking amounts and my local guy as a good 1200 lower (Gotta love East-West coast shipping charges).

The dealer did agree to install and adjust my Equa-liz-er hitch, adjust the brake controller and I got them to install dual 6v Interstate batteries and boxes plus a few other minor things.

Just need to sell my Kiwi so I have room to bring the Outback home!

·
Outbackers Contributor
123 Posts
Y-Guy,
Congratulations and good luck! Welcome to Outbackers! Look forward to hearing more from you.
Brian

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Brian... trust me you will I'm already ready to start modding the camper!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts