Outbacker RV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best way to lubricate grey and black tank drain valves?

·
Registered
241 Posts
We all have our own ideas and methods. Right or wrong, here's what I've been doing with both the toilet and the waste valves.

I always have a tube of either water pump grease or dielectric silicone grease in my box of stuff. As a landscape contractor, I've used both on rubber valve parts for years and never preferred one over the other.

Anyway, for the toilet and valves, I first put on a pair of disposable gloves. Then using a thin scotch pad, I'll clean the toilet rubber seal (top and bottom) and plastic flush ball. Then dry as much as possible and apply a light film of the silicone grease. As for the waste valves, it's sort of impossible to clean the inside of the valves, but with it half closed, I'm able to get part of the inside. Close it and apply to outside, and work it for a while. They do get significantly easier to operate.

I have to say, I only do the toilet when I notice it doesn't hold water in the bowl. And only do the valves when the feel sticky. Should probably put those items on a annual to do list...

Someone once suggested to me that Vasoline will do the same thing. But I'm not so sure that's a good thing for rubber. Perhaps okay for the waste valves, I don't know.

Dave

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My initial searching turned up the same results that Robert mentioned above. I was trying to find out what members have actually been doing and what sort of results they have seen.

My grey and black tank valves connect to the same outlet and are at 90 degree angles to that outlet. Because of this, accessing them through the outlet would be difficult at best. As for drilling a hole and using spray lube, I will have to cut into the underbelly to access the valves.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts