Outbacker RV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, we took the Outback up to Mystic, CT this weekend for an overnighter. Went out Saturday morning, and everything towed great. It was about 80 degrees when I was hooking up the hitch in the driveway. By the time we got to Seaport Campground in Old Mystic, the temps were down to about 65, and it was evident that the a/c would not be needed on this trip.

Set up was uneventful, and dinner was cooked indoors, as the outside cook top is not as spacious as it could be. It came in perfect for brewing the coffee in the morning though.

Tow home was good too. MPG's averaged 9, with the tranny in 3rd most of the way, rpms about 2400-2800 at 60-65 mph. Don't know what the tranny temps were, as that is this weeks mod.

While in Mystic, we took the family to the Mystic Sealife Aquarium, and the the Mystic Seaport Museum. Both great attractions for kids, and adults alike. We have been to both before, and stayed at Seaport Campground in the past also.

The Outback was definately much better then either the pop-up, or the Trail-Lite hybrid we had used in the past.

The only glitch for the weekend wasn't until we arrived at home. While turning the trailer around in the backyard, I proceeded to get both the Outback, and the Avalanche stuck
. After about an hour and a half of shoving, pulling, digging, and shoring, I was able to get the Outback up onto the flat of the yard, with the wheels sitting on plywood
. I will wait until the yard dries out a little before I move it to its regular spot. Then I will have to re-seed the lawn in a few spots too

Turns out, there was a severe thunderstorm that passed through our area of town shortly before we arrived home, which had oversaturated the topsoil more than I thought. I won't make that mistake again.

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
An uneventful trip is a good trip if you ask me. Sounds like the Outback did its job. Sorry to hear about getting stuck. We've been getting hit by t-storms all of last week, probably more again this week too.

Mileage sounds about right too. I didn't post this early, but we came back from a trip into Oregon two weeks ago. On the way back to up the Columbia Gorge I looked at my Instant Milage and it was reading 29.. Yeah right. I reset it and it went back. Then I looked outside and saw the effect of the wind. Man I love those tail winds, just glad I wasn't towing against it!

·
Registered
630 Posts
I learned that lesson last year. I make a point to get out and check the ground anytime I take the TT off the pavement/gravel.

Last year after camping for the weekend we stopped to visit my sister-in-law and I pulled up in front of the house with two wheels of the TT in their yard. You know the rest.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts