Outbacker RV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
Inquiring minds, like mine, need to know what you use to tow your 25RS-S.

I intend to use a 2003 Chevy Trailblazer LT with an Inline 4.2 Liter 6 cyl. / 4.10 rear axle to pull our 25RS-S, which arrives in April. This engine has 275 Horsepower and 275 ft/lbs of torque at 3600 RPM. Tow capacity is rated @ 6200.

What is your towing vehicle and how well does it work?

Cheers!

·
Outbackers Contributor
2,018 Posts
Whoa! A V6 engine to tow a 25 rss? I'm not sure about that. The 25 rss is going to weigh around 5,000 pounds with all the options, then add in all your camping stuff (dishes, food, bedding, clothing), then add in the weight of all the people in your family.

You are going to be AT MAX TOWING on your vehicle. I would reconsider your tow vehicle.

Randy

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
Just my 2 cents.

We owned a 2002 TrailBlazer with the inline 6, great rig, but towing a 25' would have made me very nervous. As it was I opted not to tow our 23' with it, our TrailBlazer wasn't the extended version though, and that maybe a big factor. I think before I took possesion I'd try a test tow to see how much power you have with it. Its a big camper and the TrailBlazer maybe underpowered with its inline 6.

·
Outbackers Contributor
3,580 Posts
I would agree a test tow might be a good idea. I tow a 21RS with our yukon which has a bigger motor and wouldn't want to pull much more. You're 4.10 rear will help, but that's still a lot of trailer. Don't mean to be discouraging, just want to see you safe and not wear out your truck to quickly.

Mike

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is what I need to know. The dealer I bought the truck from told me I'd be fine in this rig towing a 23 - 25 ft travel trailer. I have my doubts too. Maybe a Silverado Crew 2500 with a 6.0L V8 would make more sense.

Keep the comments coming, I need and appreciate them more than you know.

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
For some reason I thought you had the EXT. As I said before, we owned the same TrailBlazer. I went to pick up our new Jayco Kiwi 23' Hybrid, backed up to the camper and stepped out. I am sure my jaw was on the pavement. I looked at the camper, then at the TB, my gut did instant knots. Did the TB have the power? Sure. But the sheer size of the camper compared to the TB made me totally nervous. I knew I was a couple feet over the rule of thumb for trailer lengths compared to my wheelbase, but even that didn't matter... it was just to dang big. Luckily I had an F150 I could tow with. I told the dealer I'd be back, and since they had the wrong hitch it didn't matter, but the next day I came back with my F150. Even with the smaller gear ratio I felt much more comfortable towing with it. I did test tow with the TB and I didn't like how it felt at all. I just couldn't recommend this setup to you unless you lived in central Kansas and were not going to tow over 40mph.

Here is the rule of thumb I spoke about, this comes from some previous articles from Trailer Life and some knowledgeable and long time campers.

Wheel Base Rule of Thumb
A tow vehicle should have a minimum wheel base of 100 inches. A wheel base of 110 inches is recommended for a 20 foot trailer. For every additional foot of trailer length (above 20') add 4 inches to the wheel base. i.e., a 22 foot trailer=118 inches wheel base, a 24 foot trailer=126 inches wheel base. Etc. However, when you get into the larger, full size tow vehicles, such as Surburban's, F-150's, Ram Trucks, etc. this rule relaxes, as these types of vehicles (if properly set up) are capable of towing much larger trailers than this rule would suggest.

Using the rule of thumb for the Trailblazer I topped out when I figured it a few years ago at 21'. Unless you have the EXT or Chevy has changed things the same measurement should still apply.

·
Outbackers Contributor
2,018 Posts
Yeah....just one more thought...the 275 torque is going to make towing sluggish. With a trailer as big (and heavy) as the 25 rss, anything under 300 lb ft. torque is going to feel yucky towing.

Randy

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the input. I need to call my dealership today and get some questions answered. Plus I'm going to contact my RV dealer also and get feedback from them on this Trailblazer. You've all given me the concensus I was feeling uneasy about. No blame to anyone except the Chevy dealer and yet no one at the RV dealer seemed to question my TV as inappropriate for this travel trailer either.

Now after more and more reading it sounds like I've not made a good choice with the Chevy Trailblazer SUV. It certainly pulled a popup camper great, towing it like the wind. But with the 25RS-S, which we still will get, I need a better solution TV.

·
Registered
366 Posts
My dad gave me some good advice when talking to those RV sales reps and car dealers.... ask them "What do you use to pull yours?" If they can't answer that or say they don't have one to pull, other excuses, etc... They don't know squat. They are just telling you what they think you want to hear to make the sale!

We pulled our Coleman UtahCP with a 98 Nissan Pathfinder 4x4 ...while it did fine with that I would not consider pulling the 25RS-S (when we get it). When we had the Mega Warrior loaded on top of the Coleman the Nissan would slow on mountains. We pulled it over a scale once and we were 800 to 1000lbs. under tow "capacity."
We will use the Pathfinder with the boat (s)['04 185 SeaRay, '00 GTX DI SeaDoo] and the Expedition with the 25R-SS.

I (we) just have not figured a way to get 2 tow rigs to pull 3 toys!

·
Registered
630 Posts
I am sure you don't need anyone else jumping in here, but I will anyway.
I was in the same boat as you when I first got my TT. I was told by both the car dealer as well as the TT dealer that I would be okay with my Merc. Mountianeer. It turned out that it was way undersized. I did not have the power I needed and it felt like the TT was pushing me instead of me pulling it. The passenger tires didn't help much either and the back end of the Merc. felt like it was wagging it's tail as I went down the road. I was also a nervious wreck behind the wheel as well.

I moved up to a bigger TV, which is in my signature, and to be honest, I would go to a 2500 if I could. I use the 1500 to get back and forth to work everyday and the 2500 would be too much. the 1500 was a good trade off.

Anyway, I am glad to see that you are considering your options now.

Good Luck.

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
Michael I applaud you for having an open mind about this. Seems far to many times when the issue comes up that the poster gets very defensive. I think all of us just want to make sure we're all safe. As for the Trailblazer, well I can say been there done that. In our case the loss of my mother changed our vehicle needs so we were able to trade in the Trailblazer and F-150 on an Avalanche. I went back to my dealer and explained my situation, we had a good working relationship and since they were supporters of my organization I feel they gave me a great trade in amount for the Trailblazer and a good deal on the Avalanche. Good luck.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I still need to make some calls today.

But wanted to say thanks
to you guys. You all have been terrific in helping me get things into perspective regarding towing the 25RS-S.

More later... as the story unfolds!

More comments always welcome.

Talked to both my Chevy dealer and my RV dealer and both seem to think the Trailblazer, as I have it equipped, should do the job. Guess I will give it a try and see. My Chevy dealer said he'd take care of me being he put me into the Trailblazer knowing I'd be pulling a 25 ft travel trailer with it. He said the Trailblazer I have will easily tow to the 6200# capacity. Time will tell I said.

And obviously I'll post my report in this forum.

·
Outbackers Contributor
505 Posts
Just a note of encouragement,

I tested a Trailblazer XT before I found our Durango. It was my TV of choice on paper and I really will not know how it would have turned out.

As long as you stay within the manufacturers limits, AND use a proper weight distribution hitch you should be fine. The WD hitch is critical.
If you want to tow fully loaded at 70 MPH and dice it out up the hills out west, you may be disappointed with performance.
We compromised on the 21RS as we did not want to change TV's as we use it every day and the trailer much less!
The 21RS, unlike the rest of the Outback line is 5500 lbs vs 6000 gross weight.
If we were full timing it, we would get another (bigger) TV AND trailer.
The manufacturers ratings are conservative as they are really litigation aware. Their ratings are good, but your expectations of performance may be different!

Good Luck, let us know the results!

Dave

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Dave,

I appreciate reading your comments. Very well said. I'll certainly be the acid test for how well a Trailblazer does.

Cheers!

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,740 Posts
I think you need/want a little more TV. I drag around a 25 RSS with a Chevy Tahoe. It has plenty of power to tow with, but I think I'll struggle in the mountains. I plan on adding a power tower, and K&N filter system soon, which will up my HP as well.

I use an EQUAL-I-ZER hitch teamed with the PRODIGY controller, and I wouldn't trade that set up for nothing else.

Y-Guy...
What's the wheelbase of the Avalanche?

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
NDJollyMon said:
Y-Guy...
What's the wheelbase of the Avalanche?
130" if my memory is correct, should be same as a Burb.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I don't think i would tow my 25rss with anything smaller than my Suburban. If anything I would go bigger. A 1/2 truck is the bottom end of where i would be comfortable with this trailer. It has enought power for this job but more is always better when towing.

·
Registered
105 Posts
OK I'll bite....
My Durango tows the 25 very nicely. Would I do a long journey through a mountain range with it? Probably not unless I had to. It's our third season with it and it handles well in all conditions. However, the lease is up in May "05 and I will be looking for a larger/stronger vehicle. We purchased the Durango because my wife felt more comfortable driving it around town than a larger SUV or pick-up.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Dave (3reds),

What are your Dodge Durango's features for engine, wheelbase, and rear axle ratio?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts