Outbacker RV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you carry your bikes?

I know my outback has a bike door for a reason but I use that space for other storage.

I thought about getting a bike carrier that would hook on to the back bumper of my 25RS-S. My concern is that the bumper may not be strong enough and it might be a pain to remove the bikes everytime I need to open the rear slide.

I also thought about installing a front hitch on the Suburban but its more costly and I am not sure how I would like the bikes on the front.

Thoughts, ideas?

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'm a newbie, but I'm sure I read that putting a bike rack on the back of your OB will void the frame warrenty. I have even read that some of the welds may break, on the rear bumper area.

·
Outbackers Contributor
584 Posts
Back bumper bad idea. Welding a receiver to the frame in back is OK but lightens up your tongue and weighs down your tail and may affect sway. Also a little costly unless you weld it yourself.

Frount mount on a Suburban is a good middle ground. Bolt on front mount receiver from Hidden Hitch is not very expensive and easy to install on a Burb. That's the path I took and recommend to others.

·
Outbackers Contributor
2,018 Posts
wercertifyable said:
I'm a newbie, but I'm sure I read that putting a bike rack on the back of your OB will void the frame warrenty. I have even read that some of the welds may break, on the rear bumper area.
[snapback]42998[/snapback]​
You are correct on all accounts.

We put all five bikes in our 26 RS. Two go in the bunk room and three go in the kitchen. I will have someone (probably UHaul) install a receiver hitch mounted to the Outback frame soon. My local trailer business would not install the receiver hitch due to liability (they are worried you will tow your 20' Bayliner behind your Outback).

Randy

·
Outbackers Contributor
1,877 Posts
If you attach a bike rack to the rear bumper you will eventually destroy the rear bumper. I lay the bikes in the floor, on a piece of carpet and it works fine.

Reverie

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
My bikes? I leave them home. THere are so many bikes in campgrounds with people riding 25 mph down campground roads that you're lucky if you aren't hit when walking. And it's been real close several times already, including after dark.

They ought to outlaw them or else confine them to designated areas only. Campgrounds are for camping, not for extreme biking or skateboarding, etc. Whatever happened to using your feet for locomotion in campgrounds? I don't mean to imply that anyone here is out of control on their bicycles, but I see a problem with how some folks do it.

Bill

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have some bike mounts mounted on a 2x6 board in the bed of my truck. Basically, I remove the front bike wheel and hook the forks onto the mount. Works very well.

I have found golf carts to be more of an issue than bikes. IMHO camping and biking seem to go hand and hand.

Josh

·
Registered
233 Posts
We have a front mount receiver for our truck, we use it to haul a dirt bike but it would work equally well for bicycles. The front receiver hitchs are not very expensive less than $150 and bolt on. It is an excellent and versatile addition. Since you also have a trailer you could use it to manuever your trailer from the front for tight spaces. I didn't notice your vehicle but some like the roof mount racks for over the cab as well.

·
Registered
152 Posts
THey are riding in my 26rs right now, but have a front hitch on order from Northern tool. They were $30 cheaper than anyone else

·
Outbackers Contributor
2,018 Posts
jgerni said:
IMHO camping and biking seem to go hand and hand.
Josh
[snapback]43023[/snapback]​
Without a doubt. We never have the chance to ride bikes together as a family unless we are camping.

Randy

·
Outbackers Contributor
9,089 Posts
I mounted a receiver on the frame of our outback
Had 4 bikes on it with no problem with sway.

Don

1 - 13 of 13 Posts