Outbacker RV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 2001 GMC Sierra 1500 2 WD V-8, 5.3 ltr, tow ratio 3.42. It has a factory HD tow package. We will have the WD, stablizier, anti-sway, etc. added. We (two of us, no kids) are deciding between two Outbacks - the 25FB-S (dry weight 4130, carrying capacity 1870) and the 28 RL-S (dry weight 4900, capacity 2100).

We would prefer the 28RL-S...but don't want to burn up our tow vehicle. Anybody have experience with something similar?

Suggestions and comments are greatly appreciated....

·
Outbackers Contributor
3,580 Posts
We have the same drivetrain as you but in the shorter yukon.

You will need to add several hundred pounds to the dry weights listed in the brochures to account for options such as the awning, a/c, etc. Our 21RS came 400# heavier from the factory than the brochure weight. Our trailer weighs in at about 4,900# loaded with propane, food, clothes and about 1/3 tank of water. Having towed up and down and around the northeast, the performance is pretty good with that weight. I don't think you will be too happy pulling the heavier 28RL-S with the 3.42 gearing you have. If you were to switch to a 4.10 rear, you would get much better performance with the heavier coach. Also installing a larger transmission cooler will help prolong the life of your transmission.

good luck

Mike

·
Outbackers Contributor
1,207 Posts
I agree with what camping said because I am in the same boat, to high of rear end gears. When we were looking I would add the two weights( dry and loaded) to get an idea what the TT really weighed> 6000# in both your cases< Kirk

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
Mark, one thing I would suggest is to get them weighed at a CAT scale or someplace where you don't go by what the trailer says or what the dealer says. Getting your truck weighed is a good idea as well. That way you'll know your true base weights. Then ask the dealer to let you test drive one, see how it feels with your setup. If you can find some small hills to drive over. The gear ratio is the big one to me, you may find mountains to be a real struggle. We have a 1500 5.3 with the 4.10 and the Av tows our 28' well, but you do notice it on the bigger mountains.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts